15 - Down in Flames

At dawn I woke up, like usual

At dawn I woke up, like usual. I got dressed and went out of my cell. Rick was already up feeding Judith. His white shirt clung to his torso.

"Mornin'," I whispered.

"Good mornin'," he responded, lightly brushing Judith's hair with his fingers.

The baby smiled at me and I returned the favor. I let her grab my finger while I squished her big cheeks.

I grabbed a handful of green grapes Rick had sitting out on the table. "I'll see you down by the pigs?"

Rick nodded. "I was just about to wake Carl up. You got the water? It's getting low."

"You know I do," I said, popping a grape in my mouth. I pointed at Judith. "Don't get into too much trouble while I'm gone."

The youngest Grimes giggled while the eldest grinned.

After going to the bathroom, I drove the four-wheeler over to the jugs. As I loaded the buckets up, Carl and Rick walked down to the pens. I drove down to them as they fed the pigs. Michonne was leaving again on her quest to find the Governor.

When I got close, I seemed to be interrupting a serious question from Carl. He stared patiently as he held onto a metal pail. Rick looked up at me and I got a bucket off my transportation. He glanced back at Carl and smiled and bit his lip.

"Worms will give them extra protein," Rick told his son.

I poured the first water bucket into the tank. As I walked back over for the other, gunfire sounded from the prison.

"Stay close," the man said to Carl as he rushed out of the pen.

I ran to the four-wheeler and knocked the second bucket off. The water soaked into the grass.

"Get on!" I instructed Rick.

"Cell block?" Maggie shouted for the guard tower.

"I don't know," Rick responded while he hopped on the four-wheeler, sitting behind me. Before I took off he pointed to Carl. "Get in the tower with Maggie. Don't argue, go."

Rick held on to the back bars as I sped up the hill. I slowed down so he could get off and open the gate. Rick ran as I drove into the courtyard.

"Walkers in D!" Glenn shouted with a machetes in hand.

"What about C?!" Rick yelled back.

I got of the four-wheeler and sprinted to catch up with Rick.

Sasha, Daryl, and Tyreese exited cellblock C.

"Clear," said Sasha. "We locked the gates to the tombs. Hershel's on guard."

"It ain't a breach," Daryl confirmed.

"We followed the plan," Sasha continued.

I ran with the group to D. Glenn tossed me a machete. When we got inside it was complete chaos. Walkers, our friends, were attacking the surviving people in the cellblock.