12 - Protect the Kid

Rick and Hershel had been planting and tending to the garden almost everyday

Rick and Hershel had been planting and tending to the garden almost everyday. Buds were forming on the tomatoes and we'd start seeing them emerge soon.

I had been keeping to my jobs as assigned. I taught the kids every other day and Carol took the others. We both agreed what she was actually teaching them would stay between us. I thought my lessons were really beneficial for the children. I could tell their critical thinking skills were growing which was much needed in this new world. If they were to survive, they needed to be smart.

With much convincing and negotiating from Carl, Rick was letting me train his son in moving combat. Rick agreed that if Carl got 100% on his The Outsiders test and if he weeded the garden everyday he'd let me do it. Carl ended up attentively reading the novel and taking notes. He had a routine where he went out to the garden, pulled all the weeds, then read a few chapters.

I walked to Carl's cell with his make shift test in hand. He perked up when he noticed the paper.

"How'd I do?" he asked.

I held out the paper in front of his face. "Congrats, kid."

Carl snatched it from me with a huge smile spread across his face.  "Awesome! Let's go!"

The boy stood started rushing out of his cell. I leaned back to avoid being slammed into. I saw his hat sitting on his bed and picked it up.

"Carl, wait up."

He slowed and I jogged to him. I placed the cowboy hat on his long head of hair.

"So we can match," I said with a light punch to the shoulder.

The two of us went out to the field. Rick was already outside tending to the pig and her piglets.  Carl sprinted to his dad, waving the paper around wildly.

"Dad! Dad! Look!" he shouted.

I continued walking over to the pair as Rick looked over the test. He smiled at Carl.

"I'm really proud of you. If we had a fridge, I'd stick it right up there," Rick told him.

"Luckily I have a spot waiting on the bulletin board just for him," I said. "Hopefully you'll inspire the others to have as much dedication."

Carl's cheeks turned dark pink. "Whatever." He rocked back and forth on the balls of his feet. "So can I have my gun now?"

"I suppose." Rick grabbed a locked tool box, undid the lock, and gave Carl his suppressed pistol.

"Go get Poe ready," I instructed.

I had come outside early in the morning and set up targets after grading Carl's test. Rick had seen me doing this so I knew he knew how Carl had done.

"Good job acting surprised," I said.

"I've had practice," he chuckled. "I don't think I've ever asked you, but why Poe?"