❁Chapter Nine❁

MARIA

When we walked out of Katy's room and ran into Kieran, I suddenly felt embarrassed. Why did I decide to wear red, a colour I am pretty sure I have never worn in my life? Why am I wearing a corset where my breasts spill out from the enclosure? Why did I make this dress so short that my wide hips are barely kept in by the fabric? Why am I wearing lace? Who am I trying to impress or seduce? Will this finally get me my first kiss? Will Kieran think I am asking for it?

I don't feel like myself, the design I love but this colour doesn't scream my name.

Kieran meets my eyes, he chokes. His eyes stayed glued to my dress, his face in distaste. What is he thinking? Will he ever talk to me again, as if he has ever talked to me before. I grab my elbow timidly with my other hand.

I was disappointed when Katy said he wasn't going to be joining the party, but the way he is acting maybe I am glad that he won't be there. Maybe I will meet the guy I will kiss tonight. My plan is to get to know somebody first because I don't want my first kiss to be somebody random.

When Kieran leaves to go to the front door, my friends make their way to the living room where the party will muster. I can barely walk in these heels, stumbling over Katy's hallway carpet. Constance puts on Britney Spears while Katy turns off the lights and plugs in the disco lights. Once we hear the loud laughter of boys, we collectively put our masks on. We start dancing right away.

︵‿︵‿୨♡୧‿︵‿︵

About a half an hour later, the entire house is filled by sweaty teenagers wearing masks. I am hesitant to talk to people, not knowing who is who. Some people wear tiny lace around their eyes and I can tell immediately who that is, but most people wear full masks where I can barely guess - especially with the darkness of the lights. Connie, Katy and I keep together. So far we have only danced and shared a drink.

The lights dance in Katy's house. Constance's music blasts throughout the house. Katy is busy making sure everybody stays off counters.

"What thing on the list should we all start with?" Connie yells at me through the music, swaying with the music.

"I don't know!" I yell back.

"What?" She screams at me, clearly not knowing what I said. I roll my eyes and grab her wrist, pulling her towards Katy's room. When we walk in her room I am surprised to see nobody snuck in, usually all the couples are trying to find privacy. Once I close the door, the music immediately drowns out.

"Finally we can talk. You should probably turn the music down before people's ears start ringing." I tell Connie. She nods and shrugs in agreement. I continue, "We should have a game plan before we go back out there."

The door opens behind me and Katy peeks out.

"You think you're going to have a secret party without me?" She says.

"We're making a game plan." Constance tells her. "I think we should start talking to some guys, don't you? One of us needs to do something on the list."

My heart skips a beat with the realization that if I want my first kiss, I need to start actually talking to a guy.

"Well I think the easiest for you Connie is for you to kiss someone, you could slap someone and they would thank you!" Katy says, elbow me to agree with her. I mean she isn't wrong.