To A Fault

1921

   South Hwanghae sat on the ground, plucking at the hem of one rolled-up pant cuff. All her clothes were too big. South Gyeongsang said it looked like they were trying to swallow her, something that had scared the girl before she realized she didn’t mean it. Korea had said when the ‘bastards’ had gotten less serious about catching them he’d get her smaller ones, something she was looking forward to. She wondered if he still would.

      She flicked her eyes up to where South Hamgyong was talking with their country. They had fled from the Japanese for a really long time, leaving the valley behind and climbing a big mountain. Now they were on a ledge that her brother had called a ‘bluff,’ hidden from below by the cliffside. On the way Korea had only asked questions like ‘how many?’ and ‘where was your weapon?’ That was impressive to South Hwanghae. She would have had a whole lot more questions.

      But now South Hamgyong was probably telling him that she spoke Japanese. That was a shame. She really liked the other girl and she hoped she hadn’t upset her. She seemed upset enough when she woke up shaking in the night. And South Hwanghae couldn’t even ask her what was wrong.

    She hugged herself, thinking of how her cousin had done it earlier. ‘Korea and I will keep you safe.’ She had already known that, but it felt real good to hear it. She hoped she wouldn’t stop hugging her now.

    Korea started towards her, and South Hwanghae tried climbing to her feet. But her legs were still shaky and she almost fell.

     Korea lunged and caught her, carefully lowering her back to the ground. “Sit,” he ordered so she stayed sat. He regarded her for a moment while she squirmed, then said, “South Hamgyong says you can speak?”

     She nodded, abashed.

   “Then do it.”

     “Hai,” she admitted in Japanese. “Ah can speak.” She wasn’t that good at it. She thought she sounded fine, but Japan always said she sounded unnatural. Not that she really cared what he thought. But Korea…

    He blinked, as if startled that she really could speak. “If you can talk, why haven’t you?” 

    South Hwanghae lowered her eyes, fiddling with her cuff again. “Ya said to South Gionusa- Gio- Gi-“ She gave up, pointing at South Gyeongsang. “Ya said to her ‘what have ah told ya about speakin’ Japanese?’ So ah know ah’m not supposed to.”

    And now she had. She didn’t think Korea would do anything to her because of it, but him being disappointed would be even worse than if he stabbed her with needles.

     “Can you speak Korean?” he demanded.

     She shook her head sadly. “Sorry…” she added, hoping she sounded sincere enough since she really was.

    Korea slapped a hand against his face, slowly dragging it down. “’Not speaking Japanese’ goes for the provinces that can actually speak another language. This entire time-“ He cut himself off, grimacing.

    “I suppose you should have been more clear,” South Gyeongsang chirped. “Bikkuri.” She grinned as he glared at her.

    “Are ya mad at me, Korea?” South Hwanghae ventured.

    “Korea, if you say yes, I’m hitting you,” South Pyongan called.

    Korea sighed. “No, I’m not mad at you. It’s not your fault you can’t speak our language. It’s Japan’s.”

     Euphoria shot through South Hwanghae’s entire body. He wasn’t mad at her! Or disappointed! She couldn’t help the grin that covered her face.