Grievances Of A Nationalist

CCCP mulled over North’s request in silence, his face solemn as he considered it. He was much too large for the chair he was seated in, and the Korean found himself inanely wondering if his seats in the Soviet Union were special-made for his frame, or if it was a fundamental size difference in Slavic and Asian seating.

     “You do not need my permission for this,” the Soviet eventually said, his voice like the rumbling of a distant earthquake.

     “I’m not asking for it,” North replied, forcing himself not to bristle. “I’m telling you that we're at war, and it's going to escalate. I’m asking if we can count on you for support.”

    CCCP drummed his fingers on the leg of his tan trousers, then nodded. “Да. I will provide you with materiel, where I can. And I will stand in solidarity with you. But as for sending troops directly-“

    North cut him off. “I don’t need your men. This is between South and I.”

    The only question was whether South’s handlers would see it the same way.

     “Will America involve himself in this?” he demanded of his Soviet comrade.

     CCCP had been butting heads with America for years, ever since the American’s soldiers had invaded his country to support the tsarist White Army during his revolution. He had far more insight into the country’s actions than North, as well as operatives within his system.

     “He most definitely will, in one way or another. The capitalist pig cannot resist sticking his finger in the borsch." CCCP's voice rumbled like thunder, knuckles whitening. After a second, he composed himself and continued, “But Korea has not been claimed in his zone of concern in Asia, and he did not intervene personally in China, whom carries more strategic importance.” He raised his hand to forego the coming protest. “I mean no offense, son. I am only speaking bluntly.”

     North made a face, though he knew it to be true. If America hadn’t outright intervened to fight the Communists in the largest country in Asia, who shared borders with most of the region along with the Middle East, then most likely he wouldn’t send them to North’s little Peninsula.

    “I don’t take offense,” he said (taking a little offense). “And that works well for us.”

     His troops were superior to his- to Syngman Rhee’s, this he knew from the espionage they had been conducting across the Parallel. They had been producing their own weapons as rapidly as possible, as well as receiving them from his comrade, while his brother relied more on imports. And North had no doubt that the vast majority of their people would be relieved were his troops to march south.

     The only thing that could ruin the work would be foreign interference, namely from a country that had decimated the southern half of Japan with a mere two bombs, something North couldn’t shed tears over, but was still unnerved by.

     He closed his eye at the image of what would happen if an atom bomb were to be dropped on their home. Charred shadows scorched into the ground, desecrated earth, and more poisoned fish like those the current had swept across the East Sea.

     He shook his head slightly to clear the image. Now that CCCP had his own atomic weapons, it would keep America at bay. Not even he would be stupid enough to risk a full-on nuclear confrontation.

    Hopefully.

    “It does help,” CCCP was saying. “As does the United Nations’ charter. He will not involve himself in a civil war.”

     “Do you really think he’ll work?” North asked dubiously. The post-World War organization had been formed, ostensibly, to prevent a war of that scale and the abuses that had led up to it from happening again. But North couldn’t being himself to trust something that had been formed by mostly Western countries. Even with CCCP there, with so many imperialists at the helm he saw no good coming of it.