Hot Day In Taejon

“Scratched one!” South Pyongan yelled, then promptly hit the ground as a mortar exploded directly in front of her.

    Dust filled the mouth of the alley as a high-pitched whine filled her ‘ears.’ Without waiting for either to dissipate, she took a grenade from her belt and yanked the pin out with her teeth, poking her head from behind the edge of the dilapidated house for just as second before tossing it.

    Her throw and timing were both perfect, naturally, and the man behind the artillery only got out one last scream that was cut short.

   South Pyongan grinned cheekily at North Hamgyong from across the narrowed street. “Scratched another.”

    He glowered at her as machine gun rattling picked up. “You hold onto those for too long.”

    “And yet I’m the one winning our little competition.”

     They had reached Taejon four days ago and had been embroiled in a fierce battle ever since, trying to see who could kill the most enemies before they freed the city. Also they were in a battle with the Americans. That, too. Currently, South Pyongan was up by two.

    Her grin was wiped off her face when a hand whacked her over the head from behind.

    “What do you think you’re doing?” her ambusher hissed.

   It was Korea, obviously, which was why North Hamgyong hadn’t told her she was being snuck up on. Traitor.

    “This isn’t a game,” her country growled. “You’re defending our country, not playing football.”

     “Some of our boys are keeping score, too,” South Pyongan protested. “You haven’t stopped them.”

    “Our ‘boys’ are infantry. You’re an officer.” Korea pinned North Hamgyong with a glare, waiting for the rattle of a heavy machine gun to stop before yelling, “That goes for both of you. If I see this behaviour again, you’ll be scrubbing pots.”

    North Hamgyong ‘tch’ed. “Yes, Korea.”

   “Yes, Korea,” South Pyongan grumbled. It wouldn’t be any fun without competition, anyways.

   “Good.” He jerked his head behind him. “Maintenance is almost done. Get back to the tank.”

    “Yes, Comrade General!” South Pyongan agreed far more enthusiastically at an order she could get behind, jumping up and darting past him as he took her place. She made sure to call over her shoulder to her cousin, “I win, by the way!” as she went. She didn’t see his reaction, but it was definitely a grimace.

    To her surprise, Korea had actually been approving of her joining the tank crew, though not so much of her wielding false authority to do it. She had been smug before he had said it would 'keep her hands clean.’ He could never just let her have fun, could he?

    She sprinted back through the streets to where the tank was waiting, her crew just starting to load in. When the gunner saw her his face fell, and he reluctantly started to climb out.

    “Thanks for your voluntary relinquishment,” the province said innocently, vaulting up onto the tank and sliding into the gunner’s seat. Hehe.

   “You should be nicer to Comrade Oh Renjiro,” Kim Yun-suk chided from the driver’s seat. “He’s a nice man.”

     “For a half-Jap,” South Pyongan muttered as Commander Roe Chul took his place behind her. She actually hadn’t spoken any more words than necessary to the man beyond persuading (strong-arming) him to give up his position to her once and awhile.