Auraji

It was much easier to get one person across the Raktong and through enemy lines than it was an army. In fact, it was so easy that North slightly regretted trying to catch South's attention. Perhaps he should have simply tracked him to Busan.

    But then he would be dependent on his brother not alerting America to his presence. Even if he didn't, he knew that the Imperialist bastard had guards kept on South to monitor him.

    This was safer. This way, even if his brother brought forces with him, North could simply melt back into the shadows and return the way he had come.

   North didn't cross the river right away. He followed its course south, then east to avoid the area where the main American force was camped out. Keeping to forested ridges, he wound his way through the countryside. When daylight came, he scrounged for fallen branches, attaching them to his uniform as makeshift camouflage.

    Several times he had to take shelter, crouching behind a tree or in a hollow as Americans patrolled by on the far side of the river or a distant hill. North tracked them in his sights, but let them go. Shooting one of two wouldn't accomplish anything, and would bring his expedition to an end.

    Sooner than he'd thought, he felt the ache in his chest growing stronger. He had expected to have to make it almost to Busan, considering South's lack of athleticism.

    As the sun set, North stood on the bank of the Raktong near No-ri, where the river narrowed somewhat. He could hear voices in the woods behind him, so he made sure to slide into the dark water as silently as possible, keeping his firearms dry as he quickly forded, begrudging each slosh of liquid.

     He made it, quickly scrambling up the bank and back into the woods. Reaching into his chest once more, he found the cord, following it hand over hand towards the west.

    The valley between the ridges was filled with farmland, the wheat and barley in it looking unattended. North scrunched his face. The peasants hadn't the time to work their fields properly with the martial law in effect, even where they didn't have to worry about being bombed.

     In the field, visible despite the shadows creeping down from the ridges, was South.

     He stood next to a bike on its side, his hands in the pockets of his dark slacks. His white shirt was like a beacon glowing in the twilight. There was nervousness clear on his face, and he twitched every time the breeze rustled the plants around him. His eyes scanned over North's hiding place, looking for the person he knew was near, but not seeing him. He made a little gasp as something small ran through the wheat behind him, then sighed, putting a hand over his chest.

    He looked very small standing alone like that. Very vulnerable.

    North couldn't help but realize that he had encircled him, cutting South off from Busan. And that his brother was far too jumpy to have any guards watching over him.

    Unbidden, his fingers twitched towards his pistol.

   He clenched them instead, stepping out of the shadows, but not out of the trees. South was still staring at the fields, even though it would be clear if an enemy was approaching from that direction.

   'Idiot.'

    Luckily for him, North was not an enemy.

    "You shouldn't stand in the open," he said, feeling satisfied when his brother physically leaped into the air, spinning around and almost falling.

    "North," he said, his name filled with equal nerves and relief. "Hi."

    "You're wearing white." North nodded to his shirt. "The Americans might mistake you for a peasant and bomb you."