Chapter 5

Monae sits down and waits for Tyren to come sit across from her. When he does, he looks at her with a deadly stare before picking up the phone.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?", he asked softly and calmly. "You act funny on the phone and tell me to call you later and when I do I get no answer. No answer the next day, the day after that."

"Ty...I have something to tell you", said Monae.

"If it ain't the answer to why you've been ignoring my fucking calls then I don't wanna hear it. And where is my son?", asked Tyren. "I wanna see him."

"The only son you can see right now is your oldest.", said Monae.

"What happened to Kylan?", asked Tyren.

"...they aren't going to let me get him back right now", said Monae.

"But you just said you were with him", said Tyren.

"I was. CJ brought him over. But it was only for like five minutes", said Monae.

"What? So he with CJ?", asked Tyren. "Monae I don't trust him. I haven't since your  mom died."

Monae makes a face. "He said he knew somebody at CPS. Wait. Why did you say that?", asked Monae.

"How do you accidentally kill your mama and then leave and act like you didn't do shit at first", said Tyren.

Monae didn't say anything.

"He's the rat", said Tyren. "That's the fucking rat."

"He's not working with them", said Monae.

"Monae open your eyes", said Tyren.

"Okay fine. He's working with them. Caleb was too. They are undercovers", said Monae.

"He told you this?", asked Tyren.

"He told me Caleb was. But I think CJ is too. He can't tell me that so of course he's going to lie", said Monae. "Look, did plan B work or not?"

"Our lawyer said it did. Our trail starts in a couple of weeks. They bumped it up", said Tyren.

"Good", said Monae.

"But me and you ain't cool. You've been lying to me", said Tyren.

"I didn't want you to stress", said Monae.

"That is my fucking son Mo. You gotta tell me shit about our son. I don't care what it is. I have the right to know shit", said Tyren.

"I know. I know and I'm sorry", said Monae.

"Sorry ain't enough if we can't get our fucking son back", said Tyren.

"We will. Plan B worked right? We'll get him back", said Monae.

"Plan B worked to get our ass out of jail. Not to get our son back", said Tyren. "Plan B ain't gonna work for everybody."

Monae looked down.

"I'm not going to say that we definitely aren't going to get him back, but it's a chance we ain't and I feel like I should've known that", said Tyren.

"I'm sorry", said Monae. "This is just a lot okay?"

"It's a lot for me too", said Tyren.

"I know, and that's why I didnt wanna add to the stress", said Monae.

"What did you expect when you don't bring him to see me? Mo, we are married. You should be able to keep it 100 with me. Kalaysia does. She came by with my boy and all. But from you? That's low", said Tyren.

Monae up looks at Tyren. "Listen, I feel bad already. You don't have to make me feel worse okay?", said Monae.

"Don't worry. We gonna fight for our baby. Don't worry about it. Whether shit fails or not.", said Tyren.

"CJ said we probably won't.", said Monae.

"Fuck CJ", said Tyren.

"Okay, you should calm down", said Monae.

"What? You mad I'm talking about your brother?", asked Tyren.

"I'm just saying you should calm down. I think my brother is a snake too, yes. But we are probably wrong", said Monae.

"You're a smart woman, Monae. I tell you that all the time...but unfortunately...when you love somebody you don't make the best decisions", said Tyren.

Monae made a face.

"Including with me in the past. Not the present", said Tyren. "You let feelings control your decisions."

"Ty...even if he did all of this with Caleb, what do you expect me to do", asked Monae.

"I expect you to do what you'd do to anybody else", said Tyren.

Monae didn't say anything she just played with her fingers.

"I know deep down inside that pretty little innocent Monae is still there but I also know that beast took over...the heartless one", said Tyren. "Be that."

Monae looked at Tyren.

"The one you created?", asked Monae.

"For a time like this. To differentiate the snakes or who's real", said Tyren.

Monae sighs.

"Your brother don't give a fuck about you. Look at where you are right now. Your only child gone and you about to be locked up", said Tyren.

Monae stares at him.

"Let's win this case first...then we confront him", said Tyren.

"I already did", said Monae.

"You did. But I didn't", said Tyren.

Monae looks away.

"Deal?", asked Tyren.

Monae didn't say anything.

"Look, you ain't gotta agree with it but it's going to happen", said Tyren. "Warn him, I don't know. I'm coming for his ass."

Monae nods before hanging up the phone.

Tyren makes a face.

Monae stands up and leaves. She didn't know what to do. She didn't know what to think. He was her brother at the end of the day. Her blood. He had a job he had to do.

TO BE CONTINUED...