Chapter XVIII - Liam's side

What's surprising to me is that Lucy and Hallie haven't noticed them yet, even though they're right in front of them, and I'm the one they see from the back.

"So, Lucy, spill it. What's the deal with Christian?" Hallie's curiosity was palpable as she leaned in, resting her head on her hand.

"I thought I dodged this interrogation. Honestly, I'm clueless. I like him, but I don't know how to approach it," Lucy confessed, stress evident as she took another sip from her glass.

"Maybe just go with the flow, or take the plunge. Either way, trust your gut," I chimed in, watching as Lucy buried her head in her hands.

"Why is this so complicated? Grow up, Lucy, you're not a kid anymore. Where's that bad girl?" Lucy mused aloud, nearly shouting in frustration.

Glancing at Hallie, we exchanged knowing smiles, trying our best not to burst into laughter at Lucy's expense. She's always the one teasing us, so it's nice to return the favor.

She is so cute and I haven't got much time to talk with my brother in detail about when and what is he going to do when proposing to her. Despite wanting to delve into a heart-to-heart with my brother about his plans for proposing to Hallie, time slips away. It's surreal to think she'll soon be my sister-in-law. Despite my brother's flaws, I can see Hallie's positive influence on him.

"Ah, what the heck!" Lucy exclaimed, lifting her head from the table. "How about we make a beach bonfire? Call your significant others to join us," she suggested, a mischievous glint in her eyes.

"Ooh, about that..." I trailed off, playfully tapping my fingers against my back, indicating their presence.

"Of course they're here, why wouldn't they be? Can't seem to get rid of them for a moment," Lucy grumbled, pressing her hand to her forehead before glancing skyward.

As they joined us at the table, poor Lucy found herself squeezed for space as the three of them crammed onto the bench, leaving me alone with Marcus. Suppressing their laughter, they tried to maintain composure.

"Yeah, of course, you can sit with us. Hello, you're making me feel really small and I'm not," Lucy screamed at my brother who tried to fit on the bench still.

"It's not my fault you're so tall, Lucy," He said, frowning at her.

I don't know what happened between those two that they hate each other so much. It's still surprising me that they haven't killed each other yet. Their animosity toward each other remains a mystery to me. Despite my brother's occasional jerk-like behavior, Lucy isn't always an angel either. Perhaps they clashed over something unknown to me.

Or maybe, given Lucy's prior friendship with Hallie, she knew my brother as well. Perhaps that's where the rift began, fueled by jealousy.

Sitting beside me, Marcus lightly squeezes my thigh, sporting a faint smile but avoiding eye contact. Liam's gaze, however, is oddly intense, as if he's onto something.

"Why are you here? This was supposed to be our time," Hallie questioned my brother, but before he could respond, Lucy interjected.

"Yeah, why crash our party? Can't stand to be away for a few hours, huh?" she needled, earning a scowl from Liam.

"Lucy, shut your damn mouth, nobody was..." Liam's retort was cut short by my intervention.

"What the hell is your problem? Come and have a word with me, please!" I told him, frowning back at him as I asked Marcus to get up so I could leave with my brother.

I took his hand and dragged him out of the terrace, stopping when we got on the beach and telling him to sit down. I had my nerves stretched to the max.