Those of the village

Wheeler and Pearson talked long about the Fedonian conflict, and only later had they changed their conversation, in which they wondered how people could still live so secludedly in the manner the people in the swamp did. All the while they talked, Avery did attempt to listen to their conversation, but her main concern was the mosquitoes attacking her rather harshly while the sweat was pouring down her face. Swatting the many mosquitoes again and again, Avery already had very much enough of this swamp and peaked many times to the front of the road, hoping to see the village.

Hope grew in her when she truly saw a wooden building. She pointed at it eagerly and asked, »Is that it? «

»A house barely won't make a village. «, Wheeler giggled.

»It could be a sign of it being close. «, Avery replied, annoyed.

»It could, but it's not. Not yet. «, replied the elderman.

Annoyed, frustrated, and exhausted, as if she had run a short marathon, she sat back on the wagon's bench, arms hanging from its sides. But it wasn't only her; she noticed. Pearson kept on moving more, constantly brushing off dust and particles from his beret. He licked his dry lips. His whole face was red.

Suddenly, Wheeler jumped up from his seat, glancing straight ahead. Avery jumped up, instantly hopeful.

»Sir, I mistook it; the village begins! «, the driver laughed.

»Indeed? «, Pearson replied in pure joy, »Indeed? «

There, Avery spotted, not far from them, a clearing appearing. And soon after, the first wooden fences appeared, standing next to the road, and they led on to some wooden roofs in the distance, peaking in between the small number of trees.

Avery climbed forward to Pearson, peaking over his shoulder towards the slowly appearing village with the greatest interest. The RS pushed Avery slightly away, freeing his sight for the newly found civilization, and a smile grew on his lips. He said, »And at last, we are here. «. Yet, concerned, he looked down at his wristwatch. »We needed more time than I anticipated. That's bad. We'll have to hurry. «

I don't believe the villagers will be so thrilled to speak with us for a longer time. If anything, they'll simply want to get rid of us in the end as fast as you, Sir, would like to leave. «, Wheeler murmured. »If they are willing to talk to us at all, they know me, yet, Sir, they know neither you nor your recruit back there. «

»We'll see. We'll see. «, Pearson whispered, emptying his pipe and nervously glancing towards the village, which was coming rapidly closer.

Avery carefully stood up in the wagon, peaking over the driver's shoulder, and she gained her first impression of this swamp village, Helen.

It was old. The wooden buildings stood on bridges. Most of their houses were round with round roofs made of straw, or reed. The bridges connected the buildings to each other, railings included, and protected these paths from dropping to the water below. Here and there, small stairs led to places where there was barely any water—or these stairs were simply used for fishing, as Avery spotted some fishing rods standing alone, hooked to the railings. Yet Avery was surprised that the village was this big. It went on—how far, she knew not.

Suddenly, Pearson grabbed her by the shoulder, pressing her back down to her seat. »Now we shall be careful. «, he said. Avery nodded.

She saw figures of people appearing in the village, on the bridges, or in the frames of doors and windows. All eyes were on them.

»They've spotted us. «, Avery whispered.

»Indeed, they have. «, Pearson nodded.

»They aren't used to visitors. «, Wheeler added.