The Stranger

Ten days later...

Her dress was long and fluttered in the wind. She walked slowly, and her every movement was of such softness that it was as if she were a fairy of the woods. Her blonde, long hair danced in the wind, while her brightly blue eyes shimmered like the stars themselves. Her smile on her small yet soft lips was one of sadness and happiness alike—of love and hope. But it was her voice that rang through the air like the first warm wind in spring. Every man and every woman had grown silent, no matter how many drinks they had downed.

Even though I close my eyes so tight,

I see his smile as past days bright.

Even though I sleep so deep at night,

His voice still rings in my ear alright.

Her soft pale hands drew closer to the soldiers near her, drawing her soft touch over their cheeks, and she sang, as if herself were truly in this deepest despair, for tears seemed to glimmer in her eyes.

Avery stretched her neck, peaking over the people.

But oh dear all I can see of you,

Is the fondest memory of us two.

Where I had run over fields low,

You had followed me likewise too.

My dearest lover, never shall I

Never shall I forget you.

For, when the sun shall sink,

Even then I shall only of you think.

Her soft voice ended, and silence grew in the tavern. She smiled and vanished behind the curtains.

All of those who'd listened to her singing began to cheer so loudly, clapping and jumping. They called her name Isabella and did so in the hope that she might come out yet again.

Avery took her Felfet Cigarette from her lips and crushed it between her fingers. She jumped off of the table and rushed through the mass of people, mainly soldiers, which were the troops of Lt. Evergreen and Lt. Castor.

Many days ago, they had travelled on the roads to reach the province of Artegia and had finally found rest for a short period of time in the fort of Wilschwa. Lieutenant Castor and Lieutenant Evergreen had allowed the troops some free time, which they mostly used for drinking, games, and sleeping. They'd needed it. The long travel, including the streets of Kauzak and the Tilevidus along the deep cliffs, had caused much tensity and fear in the hearts of the soldiers, for many people had already lost their lives on those treacherous roads, which no one could say for sure whether they would hold under the wheels of the vehicles or not.

Avery had spent a good time with royal soldier Pearson's soldiers, the three men, whose names she hadn't quite caught yet. They had played some card games until the singer, Isabella, had begun her songs. Avery had used this opportunity to leave the tavern. Her head had grown weary, for it seemed to her as if the oxygen had begun to lack rather harshly in the small room of the tavern.

Once she walked out into the warm evening, she took a deep breath of the fresh spring air. She was leaning against the fence of the busy building, listening to the wind howling past her ears. The Wilschwa forest, which was all around the fort, was incredibly dense, and when the wind blew through it, its branches made silent sounds—the songs of a forest. It was the sounds of creaking trees and the rattling of the needles. It was like a balm on Avery's soul, bringing the feeling of home closer to her heart. And on top of that, the scent of needles and resin rode on the breeze.