43

Vidha pushed her aside as she looked at the figures dancing on the floor. She couldn't look away at some of them. Nalani and Hridyanshu were on the dance floor along with her brothers.

She was stuck in the middle of the night and couldn't join them. A heavy feeling was in her chest, and her mind was a mess.

Her phone makes a vibration. She pulls the phone out and looks at the caller ID. She excuses herself and wanders towards the other end.

Padmanabh's gaze goes to Vidha, who is leaving. His brows frown in confusion— He is about to follow her when Vrishali stops him. "Where are you going?"

"Vidha— She is leaving." Vrishali looked at where he was pointing. Vidha was holding her phone against her ear. "She is probably on a call. Let her have the call; she will join us on the dance floor. Dev and Dyuthi are calling us."

Padmanabh gave a slight nod, but he didn't break his gaze. Vrishali pulled him towards the dance floor.

Vidha rolled her lips as she listened to the other end. She said little before ending the call. A tired groan left her body as she fisted her hand.

She observed everyone and noticed that each individual harboured their private thoughts while maintaining a façade of composure. Despite the apparent calm, the reality of their inner worlds was shrouded in secrecy.

*

Aadya passed the wine glass to Nalani as they stared at the sky. For an unknown reason, the sky was clear, and they could see the stars.

Nalani inquired, "Do you recall the last time you witnessed a sky full of stars?" Aadya pondered and replied, "It was about a year ago when we were in Tosh. The sky was pitch-black and crystal-clear, without any trace of artificial light, allowing us to see the Milky Way galaxy with our naked eyes. Since there was no electricity, the sky was exceptionally dark, and the stars were bright and sparkling."

Nalani hummed; they were startled by the noise and turned their heads around, looking at the door. Nalani hid the wine glass; she didn't want to get caught drinking the night before her wedding.

The door opened, and Vidha sneaked in. They both breathed out. "Lock the door."

"Okay." Vidha locked the door. "Where were you? We were looking for you everywhere." Vidha moved towards them. "I. . .I went out for a walk."

Nalani frowned her brows but decided not to ask. "Come on, we are having a drink." Vidha was surprised. "You are having a drink when your wedding is like —" Vidha looked at her watch. "In six hours."

"I'm nervous. And I need to sit down with my girls." Vidha sat beside Nalani; Aadya was on the other side of Nalani. "Nervous?"

"I don't know. Everything will change, and I will be living with your brother." Vidha hummed. "Is that a good nervousness or bad?"

"It's a mixed kind of nervousness. I don't know what the future has stored for us. Everything will be slightly different in a way. New relationships, new commitments, new adjustments. . . I don't want to mess up my thoughts or try to adjust to places that aren't necessary."

"Babe, speak your thoughts out. Once everything is out, you will feel calm. The tension is making everything seem big," Aadya said. "I agree, it's the wedding tension."

Vidha took the wine glass from Aadya. "And you don't have to adjust all the time. I'm sure Hridyanshu Bhaiyya will be an understanding person. He is going to change at times. We are here with you, and my family will support your decisions."

"I know. . . It's the wedding and―" I don't want anything to happen." Aadya wrapped her arm around Nalani. "Nothing would happen. You are overthinking."