31

Present. . .

Nalani looked at Hridyanshu in horror. She opened and closed her mouth. Hridyanshu held her arm and shook her. "Nalani. . . It's alright, you don't have to think about it. It's in the past; I didn't want to bring it up."

"You haven't spoken to me for months after what happened," Nalani said. Hridyanshu sighed. "We ignored each other. It's not just me who hasn't spoken with you. Later, we both became busy with our lives."

Nalani gave a meek nod. "Mitali is a liar, and I never liked her." Hridyanshu stayed quiet. "I know you never liked Mitali, but I do not understand why. I only meant to hurt you with words because of what you have said to Mitali on the night."

"Wait a minute. . . So, you haven't heard what she said that night? Or about the argument she started with Vidha and Vedant?" 

"I know about their argument, but what has she said to you?" Nalani stayed quiet for a minute. "Tell me when you returned to the table?" 

"When you were asking Mitali if she loves me or not." 

"Wow, you haven't heard what she has said to me." Hridyanshu was confused. "What do you mean?" 

Nalani let out a laugh. "There might be a misunderstanding. You didn't know the whole story. It was Mitali who started, and I had to give her back. Anyway. . . You weren't meant for each other. That I knew from the beginning."

Hridyanshu raised his brow. "That's something big coming out of your mouth. How would you know if we weren't meant for each other?" 

Nalani's gaze went to the sky as a huge plane took off. "I just knew by the looks of it. It was always one-sided efforts . . . You know. We have always seen you trying to make the relationship work. Planning everything and cancelling every important meeting to spend time with Mitali. But― It wasn't the same from her side."

Hridyanshu stayed silent. "That night, you weren't planning on proposing to her. You wanted a private proposal that includes just the two of you. Why would she force you to invite her friends and ask you to propose to her?"

Nalani sighed and massaged her face. "Let it be; it's in the past. Good thing you are single, and that's a win for me."

"Am I missing something here? What did she tell you? How did you know that she asked?" Hridyanshu felt lost and hadn't heard Nalani's side of the story. He was too wrapped up in everything and exhausted that night.

"I asked Vedant, why would you try to steal your parent's special day and make it yours? I know you― You would never plan something on their special day. And I also know that you were the one who took care of the surprise party for your parents and planning a proposal on the night just―" Nalani licked her lips as she looked into Hridyanshu's eyes. "Doesn't click together." 

Hridyanshu rubbed the back of his neck as he watched Nalani. "Was Mitali rude towards you? I knew she didn't like you, but I never thought she would be rude."

Nalani smiled. "It doesn't matter. It's the past; know that I will never be rude to someone unless they cross the line with me." 

Hridyanshu caressed her head. "I know. You grew out of your rude era." Nalani laughed. "Come on, people change and are not always the same as they were as kids."

"True. . ."  Silence fell upon them. They kept looking at each other. Nalani's gaze flickered to his lips before they went to his eyes. Hridyanshu watched as Nalani's breath became heavy when she stepped forward. He knew what she wanted and would lie if he said he wasn't feeling the same.

Nalani slightly leaned her head back as she looked into his eyes. Their face was close, and with one slight lean, their lips would touch. Hridyanshu's breath fanned Nalani's face. He wrapped his hand around her head and pulled her face as he― The phone ringing in his pocket broke the intensity. 

He almost kissed her on the lips. Nalani snapped out of whatever that was going on. "I― I. . ." Hridyanshu silenced her by kissing her forehead. Nalani held on to his dress shirt. Closing her eyes, a soft sigh left her mouth. Hridyanshu pulled away and leaned his forehead against hers. 

"I think I'm―" 

"Ssh. . . Not now." Nalani whispered, not wanting to hear anything from him. She wants to live in the moment she is having with him. 

Note:

This was a continuation of part 30, and I accidentally deleted the second half of this chapter.  RN, I'm travelling with my family and won't be able to write. Decided to post whatever draft that was saved. SORRY, hope you people understand.