Mother has been too ill lately for guests. I have not been able to see her. The tedium of my duties is getting to me, and Father has been relentless with my studies, pushing me harder and harder to strengthen my control.

My sister has been exploring the mountains. I see her bring in all sorts of interesting finds, but she refuses to tell me where she got them. I wish there were a way to sneak out. I would follow her or force her to show me, but Father is keeping a close eye on me, making certain I stick to a strict schedule.

This morning, he brought in a detailed list for Rune, giving him direction through a series of tasks. Rune is supposed to grade me on them and see which I excel most at so they can pick a specific field to concentrate on. I don't know how extensive it was, but I saw "wind," "water," "growth," "transfer," "fire," and "foresight" written as it passed between them.

We had already done months of fire. Pass it through water, see how large a flame I can create, see how hot I can go, test me on this, test me on that. And now, he asks Rune to test me in the impossible, to see the future.

He expects too much. Merely because I am different. My sister is different too. But she never has to practice. He doesn't expect her to stay in the castle, not even when we have guests. No doubt he prefers her not be seen, embarrassed by her light hair and features. It is infuriating! I wish I were as strong as he hoped. I could do what I wanted, then.

There was a clank of metal in the front room and talk of horses. Ruby complained of a delay—apparently, they were waiting on a meeting before we could leave, and from that meeting came some sort of guarantee. Ruby did not seem to have the patience for it. I yawned and rolled over, flipping another page of the book.

I attempted slipping in to see Mother this morning, but the doors were protected. Father found me trying to break through and sent me directly to Rune for practice. At least I got out of my duties in the throne room. We started with water. I was so exhausted that I had to sleep through most of the afternoon before they brought me back to work again in the evening. Every muscle in my body throbs. I think I hate Rune.

~

A servant brought a letter to my room this morning. It was from my father, informing me I'm to prepare for a banquet. I've put on my formal attire. I wonder what sort of tricks he'll want me to perform for our guests. How will he display my talents this time?

I understand he needs to show strength in his position, but it seems as if he's being a bit obvious. "Look at my aberration. See what she can do?" I'll be too tired for anything but sleep tonight, or I'd try sneaking out when he's occupied with visitors. Maybe he'll give me a break from training tomorrow.

~

Father hasn't left his room this morning. No one has seen him since the conclusion of the festivities. My sister has sealed herself in her room. No one will tell me what has occurred.

~

Late last night, a servant brought a note from my father. It was four words long... "Your mother has passed."

I am still in my room. I guess I am waiting. I don't know what will happen.

I heard a noise in the front room and slid the book under a pillow, dropped my head, and pretended to sleep. I'd been so absorbed in the book that I had no idea how long I'd been reading. There was a light rap on my door.

My voice was hoarse. "Yes?"

"Frey, I'm on my way to the ridge. We will be leaving in the morning." Ruby's words confused me. I must have read well into the night.