Chapter 12

The councilman's body was disposed of, and the group bustled around the clearing. I slid my sword into its sheath, careful not to touch the blade. I hadn't comprehended what the flourish of activity meant until Ruby grabbed my arm to conduct me. "Come on. We have to pack."

She dragged me along as she rushed back to her house. She threw things around her room, sorting and gathering. I didn't have anything to assemble. There was only the pack I'd acquired months ago with nothing in it but that stupid white dress and the pouch... The pouch.

I hurried from the room, explaining to Ruby that I would be getting ready for the trip.

"I already put your pack in the front room for Chevelle."

"I'll just check it," I said. "Thanks."

I found the pack with some of Chevelle's things in it. As I started to open it, I knocked one of his bags over then went to pick it up. The flap was loose, and a piece of familiar fabric hung out. I glanced over my shoulder to be sure Ruby wasn't watching and opened the bag to find the fabric-wrapped package she'd handed to Chevelle our first day there, the package he'd traded my stone for. I pulled the material back to reveal a leather-bound book. Afraid Ruby would catch me, I slid the book into my own pack and took it to my room.

I'd already been in trouble for stealing one book, but this was technically mine. It had been swapped for my ruby. I was careful anyway, pretending to lie down and placing the book where I could quickly cover it if I were caught. I ran my fingers over the dark leather cover, tracing the scripted V etched there. Vattier? The first pages had been torn from the bindings, so I flipped through, finding several more damaged sections, some torn, some by water. I sighed. It wasn't any more than I expected. It felt like everything I touched was destroyed.

I returned to the first page and began reading.

Today was the solstice celebration for the fey. They are such fools. They got hopped up on dust and raided the castle. We had to kill at least six of them before they sobered up enough to reason with. That was before Father killed two more just for fun. He said he had to prove a point, but I could tell he enjoyed it.

I straightened and blinked. What is this? I shook my head and continued.

My stupid sister was mad because he didn't let her help. She started to throw a tantrum, and he stiffened her tongue. It was stuck like that for hours. I laughed so hard I kept having to wipe the tears from my eyes. She tried to yell at me, and it came out, "Thut uhp! Thop iht!" Which made me laugh harder, and she got so mad she screamed and busted a bunch of glass.

I kept reading, enthralled. It seemed to be a journal written by a girl, but I had no idea who. It could have been someone in Chevelle's family, but I couldn't figure out why he would have a young girl's diary. It was filled with pointless stories as far as I could tell, but after a few pages, it seemed to jump several years, and the writing matured. I wished it had been dated.

I tire so easily of the formalities here. The only thing I have to look forward to are the few breaks I get to go out on my own into the pines. Father has increased my work periods to every other day. Combined with my other duties, I am stationed in the castle almost all week. The magic practice exhausts me, or I would sneak out at night, the way I enjoyed as a child. It doesn't seem fair. My sister is practically ignored. Father clearly prefers me, but sometimes I wonder if that is really better. She wanders idly around the castle, no practice, no duties, no formal gatherings.

Magic practice, castles—who is this girl? I read the entries for hours while Ruby gathered supplies and made her arrangements. I had no idea what in this journal could have been of interest to Chevelle unless he knew the woman, and that kept me reading. For as much time as I'd spent with him, it still felt as if I knew very little, as if a part of him was missing. It continued with her father's rigorous schedule and their distaste for her sister, and then the entries got more detailed and frequent.