39. My Strength

Chapter ke liye dm kru raat bhr, vote aur comment kru jhant bhr!☝🏻😎

⚠️Warning: This chapter contains mature content. Reader discretion is advised.

The next chapter's synopsis is at the end.

Make my day by Voting and commenting!❤️

1.40k+ votes, 200+ comments :)

♪Ankhiyon Ke Jharokhon Se

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

ANANDITA'S POV

"So what happened yesterday?" Kartik asked, tapping his fingers on the wooden table of his office, leaning against the edge. 

I stood beside his empty chair, observing the woman who had regained consciousness after a whole night. She looked pale, but not as much as before, still retaining her beauty.

"Are you married? When did you get married? You didn't tell me?" She asked, her gaze shifting strangely to me. I clenched my fists in tension, my eyes darting to Kartik, who remained stoic.

"Yes, but that's not what I asked," he replied, his tone harsh.

"I'm sorry," she murmured, looking down at her lap before meeting his gaze. "I was... I was drunk." She gulped hesitantly. 

I don't know why, but I found her voice familiar, like I had heard it somewhere before, even though I couldn't recall ever meeting her.

"Drunk," he scoffed, his tone sharp. He shouldn't have spoken to her like that; it could affect her, especially in front of me, a stranger. "You can't handle alcohol and end up sleeping through the entire evening and night because of it."

"I was at a party yesterday morning, and all day before night. It was my farewell with my friends before I leave the city," she explained, smoothing out her dress on her lap.

"You have friends here?" Kartik questioned.

"Some, two or three," she replied. My gaze shifted back and forth between them.

"Two or three? How many friends exactly do you have?"

"Two," she admitted, looking at Kartik with eyes that seemed filled with admiration and a hint of being affected by him. I bit my bottom lip, chapping it in unknown tension.

Kartik's guarded demeanour never let down his walls in her presence. It was as if he sensed her admiration and maintained a safe distance.

Meanwhile, insecurity gnawed at my heart, fueled by her unwavering attention towards him. I focused on keeping my composure, unwilling to show any signs of weakness. 

Kartik nodded and stated, "My driver will take you home after lunch." 

He didn't inquire further, which was a relief as she seemed still shaken.