Because of You 2

The next day, Catalina's friends no longer sat with her during their free time. Instead, Catalina would bring a chair over and sit with Manami. Their conversations were filled with smiles unlike the usual baron atmosphere Catalina would have around her old group.

I did my best to eavesdrop and heard Catalina mention making clothes for Manami to try on because of her perfect body type. I agree. And I would love to see Manami in cute clothes.

Their promising friendship had one drawback however, I've lost my precious time with Manami. Had Toro not been infatuated with her, I would have kicked her away.

"Hey, Toro." I poke the giant eating his fourth granola bar of the day. "Go spend some time with Catalina."

"What?!" He whispered. "What do you mean spend time with her?"

"Well, you like her, don't you?"

"I do, but I don't think we've gotten to that point yet."

And if I don't push them, they might never reach that point. "What did you two talk about after your game?" I asked out of curiosity, but it's valuable information for my efforts.

"Ummm, I may have asked if she would ever like to go on a date with me."

"A date?" The combined hit from surprise that Toro would ask something like that and the realization that I had yet to go on a date with Manami left me speechless.

Did the game count as a date? Maybe half of one? No, a date should be dedicated to the significant other. "How could I have forgotten that?" I leaned back in my chair.

Despite this new information, I still have no clue what kind of date Manami would like to go on. I don't have the time to waste on a simple date, so I'll need to think of something good enough and quick.

"Hey, Toro, where are you planning to take Catalina?"

"We haven't decided yet."

"So, she said yes."

"Gah... I didn't say that."

I rest my hand on his ridiculously large shoulder. "Congratulations little bro."

He nods and continues to devour his bars before class, but he has a large smile as he does.

As happy as I am for Toro, the date idea lingered on my mind the entire day.

"Hey." Manami tapped my cheek with her pencil. After I didn't respond the first time, she gave more of a whack with it.

I turn to look at her. We're in the library with Catalina since exams are coming soon. Toro said he would meet us after practice.

Over time, Manami's eyes became softer. No longer holding back their sparkle of happiness. Somehow – perhaps through the combination of her small face and pretty lips – she seemed more beautiful than ever.

"You're gorgeous." I managed to say.

Manami smiles and turns my face to look at my notebook. "You should be looking there... but thank you."

Manami, one of the higher-ranking students of the class, did her best to teach an academic catastrophe. But even she found it difficult to drill formulas and scientific nonsense into my skull.

Still, she didn't give in, and I managed to scrounge up an answer or two. Her excitement when I did was cute. "Good job!"

"Thanks!"

Toro arrived not long after and we left about an hour later.

We walked with Manami towards the car lot. Passing near the gym, I mustered the courage to ask the question. "Manami, where would you like to go for our first date?"