Chapter 3

Adolescence

I went to a school called Sutton High Comprehensive where I learnt very little but perhaps in some small way it prepared me for my self education. There aren't people who teach, only guide and lecture. People learn through an evolution of thought. I was valiant and much tougher than average, I was very much a loner and didn't like most of the other pupils. I respected the teachers and stood out because there was a general lack of respect from the people in my year. I did have one good friend, Richard who I had known since junior school. He claimed he knew me from play school, at just a few years of age.

In the first year I was in the special needs class with mixed ages. Then at the end of that year I moved into the lowest classes with my friend Richard. All these new classes were exciting, the time table was something new, I was challenged if only moderately for the first time in my life. At the end of the second year I received a cup for making the most progress out of all the boys in my school, which I shared with a girl for six months each when I moved into middle stream classes. Next year I received the runner up prize and moved into top stream for all sciences.

During the first year I played football but could never get the point and I was so bad. However I enjoyed playing with friends at home the same was true of cricket at home. In school I was always last to be picked for the teams however that started to change when I played full contact rugby. I was good and people started to notice, I scored two tries in the first game I ever played and I was the only person to tackle the muscle bound school bully. He was too big for me to bring down alone but I had a go.

I noticed that the other pupils had received a beating off this brute of a man, I realised that the person with the more severe problem was actually him. I told him once the only friends he had were those who were scared of him and I asked him why do you make so many peoples lives misery? He said that it was because he enjoyed it. What a stupid man!

I regret not having made a stand against him but then that might of invited a gang to follow me, something that I did not need, I needed time alone to think and prepare for later life.

I got a lot of attention off the females in school, I think I would have liked to of taken more advantage but was way too sensitive to touch. I think looking back I was only protecting myself, still a part of me feels I missed out.

Before I went to high school I was able to sense letters that I would write to the school in anticipation of things the IRA would do in the Irish peace talks. A few years after being in high school, I wrote many letters. I wrote these letters in my first flat which was very small, with a small kitchen in a corner.

After I left high school I went on a skiing holiday in Switzerland, I had a good time with other people whom I went to school with. However, there were ongoing issues and upon my return, It was necessary for me to go to a hospital unit called Pine Lodge for Therapy.

All day long at Pine Lodge we took part in various therapy groups. I was under stress because of all the bullying that other pupils were subject to. We went on camping trips in the lake district. On one of our trips I met up with my friend Richard from school. We would go canoeing, walking, abseiling and rock climbing. We used to have different jobs minute taking notes, chairing the morning meetings, hoovering, mopping and so on. We would take turns in washing and cooking. We went camping three times during my stay there, going home at weekends. I stayed there for five months then I came back to school and home.

School didn't work out when I got back I just couldn't cope with seeing so many people bullied. Once again I left the school to study at home, I learnt so much I felt like my head was about to explode, I don't know about other schools but I hardly learnt anything in mine. Education is fun and exciting and no one should miss out, but soon I will develop and know everything, you may call me the man 'who can' and I can!