𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟔

-𝐍𝐞𝐟𝐞𝐫𝐭𝐢𝐭𝐢'𝐬 𝐏𝐨𝐯-

-𝐍𝐞𝐟𝐞𝐫𝐭𝐢𝐭𝐢'𝐬 𝐏𝐨𝐯-

Bella and I walked on the beach as Jacob followed us

Bella and I walked on the beach as Jacob followed us. Bella was trying to come to grips with this new reality, the one where Jacob was a werewolf.

Jacob was keeping his distance, trying to control his anger. "You just have to stop," Bella asked. "It's not a lifestyle choice, Bella," Jacob answered. "It's in my DNA."

"Killing is in your DNA?" I asked.

"Man, I thought maybe you wouldn't be such a hypocrite. What, I'm not the right kind of monster for you?" Jacob asked. "Can't measure up to your bloodsucking friends?"

"Stop right there," I sneered at him.

"Hey, they managed to survive without hurting innocent people," Bella got angry. Jacob stopped as his anger was replaced by confusion.

"Wait, innocent? So, you don't care that I morph into a giant dog," Jacob asked. "Just that I... kill people?" "'Just?'" I asked. "Those hikers' lives mean that little to you?" He burst out laughing.

"Oh my God," Bella groaned as she turns around. "I thought you were different," I told him.

"Bella, Tiri, wait...," Jacob stopped us. "We're not killing hikers. We're trying to protect them." "From what?" I asked. "The only thing we do kill: Vampires," He sneered.

"What a typical answer from a wolf shifter," I shot back. "Vampires? Jake, no," Bella asked him.

"Don't worry, we can't touch your precious Cullens," Jacob told us. "Unless they bite someone and violate the Treaty." "That's not what I meant. You can't fight vampires," I explained.

"They're too dangerous."

"Please. We took out that leech with the dreads easy enough," Jacob chuckled.

"I knew it!" I exclaimed "He didn't seem like a friend," Jacob looked worried. "No, God no. But how?" Bella asked.

"It's what we do, why we exist. A few "lucky guys" in the tribe have the gene," Jacob explained. "If a bloodsucker moves to town, our DNA kicks in, we reach the right age, and the fever hits."