Chapter - 18: Victim (PART - B)

In Neil's Cabin, Birla Constructions:

Rohan could clearly see that Neil has reached his breaking point. Even though, he has been putting up a strong face and getting involved in the conversation, Rohan could see how lost Neil was. He looked too drained to his liking, and he knew he had to make him speak as soon as the meeting is done. 

Neil and suppressed emotions never got along well. The boy behaved stupid, and all the logics go for a toss when he is in that state. Unresolved conflicts always made Neil react in a way that he will eventually end up regretting. 

The past 8 years was a vivid example, and he wasn't ready to let him suffer for 8 days more. No mistake is worth repeating and definitely not when the loss and suffering is so humongous. Rohan acted on his feet and Divyanka could read the gesture. 

Divyanka also stood up. She understood that it was time she let the boys handle themselves after such a revelation. She was about to walk out when Rohan and Neil said "Thank You/Thanks" at once. She smiled but schooled her expression by the time she turned back.

"One last thing, yeh Stockholm Syndrome ki cycle ko todna bahut complicated process hain. It won't be linear. Bahut ups and downs honge. It's important that you try to understand and provide support to Dr.Birla. He will need you more than ever. 

So, dish him some kindness and empathy. Sirf aap logon ko hi nahi, unhe bhi apne aap ke saath kind hona padega, forgiving hona padega. Jahan tak mujhe pata hain, wohi sabse zyada mushkil hoga. 

Aur tum donon ko hi iss baat ka khayal rakhna padega. Make sure he isn't shouldering too much blame. He needs to be empathetic towards his own self. You have a long battle at hand boys, be prepared." 

She gave her 2 cents and made a move from there, leaving the boys to cope with the newfound information. 

The moment she was out of sight, Rohan pulled Neil to his chest. Neil was his baby brother and more times than not, Rohan successfully shielded him from Abhimanyu's anger and to some extent, even Abhimanyu's hurt. 

But today, when all of it was revealed that way, he couldn't do much to shield him from the man's pain whom Neil considered his father. Neil let his tears trickle down which he had been holding back for so long. 

Divyanka's words shattered him. He couldn't push away the flashes of all the incidents that came knocking at him when he blamed his Bhaiyya for being unreasonably kind and understanding to Akshara. 

Berating his Bhaiyya was already a huge cross for him no matter how accommodating Abhimanyu was. No matter how essential that was. It was a huge no for Neil even then. But knowing that he was being unfairly harsh towards his Bhaiyya for something that wasn't even in his control broke Neil.

Rohan waited for Neil to sober up, but he didn't. So, he pulled back and made Neil look up. He wiped the tears off and spoke gently,