Chapter 10: We'll Call It A Date

(Moonbyul's POV)

Yong and I find a small table in the corner of the cafe and settle there. Mere moments later, a barista comes and delivers our americanos. We both bow towards him.

"Enjoy!" The barista says cheerfully and heads back to the heart of the cafe.

We both dive into our coffee almost immediately, because caffeine addiction is the sweetest addiction anyone could ever have. Glad to know we are on the same page.

"So, what about you Byul?" Yong says after swallowing a sip of her americano.

I smile at her, not anticipating her to be the one to strike up a conversation. "What about me?"

"Do you have any hobbies?" She asks.

"Well, cooking has always been something that I'm passionate about. Some of my earliest memories are being with my mom in the kitchen." I pause to reminisce. "I practically grew up in that little restaurant, and it's all I've ever wanted to do. I'm lucky, I get to do what I enjoy everyday and with the people I love. I never try to take that for granted." I say to Yong.

We sat maintaining eye contact for what seemed to be a lifetime, but was merely seconds. But in those seconds I felt a deep connection to Yong.

I don't quite know exactly what was bonding us in that moment. Was it what I said about my family? My passion for cooking? Or was she just totally enamored with it all? She doesn't talk much, but she doesn't need to. She speaks with her eyes.

I break the silence between us, "What are you thinking Yong?"

She blushes and looks down towards her lap. "I uh- nothing."

"No come on, I wanna know."

I flash her an inviting smile, cause I want to know. I want to know everything about her. Everything she's been through, and everything she wants to be. But I guess the waiting is the fun part. I can't wait to dive in and peel back every layer she has to offer, both figuratively and....well you know what I mean.

She looks back up into my eyes. "It's just, you seem like such a down to earth person. I admire it. I love it about you."

Love. The magic word. Hearing it escape from her lips has my heart pounding so hard it's probably vibrating the floor. And obviously she felt it, because she follows up with a slight chuckle.

"Well thank you Yong, that's very sweet of you."

She inhales sharply as if she's gathering up the nerve to be vulnerable. "I uh, I don't have a ton of friends or uh, people that I'm close with. It's kind of embarrassing-being 28 without a solid foundation in relationships. So I'm pretty bad at this, but uh. Would you wanna...see each other again...maybe?"

"Ah Yong! You already can't get enough of me?" I say slyly like the greasy asshole I am.

"Aish Byulie, forget I said anything," as she rolls her eyes at me.

I can't help but throw my head back, laughing hysterically, "No no no Yong, I'm just messing with you!" I reach out and place my hand on top of hers. "I would love to see you again."

Her eyes soften as she looks at me, with the slightest upward curl peeking out from the side of her lips. Her sweet, bunny like cheeks are turning a soft shade of pink. Like a blush that's too wonderful, they don't dare make it marketable. Because that type of perfection can never be achieved by someone other than her. I swear I saw a brief twinkle in her eye, as if she's trying to hold back a tear. But a happy tear, I presume.

I gently stroke the top of her hand with my thumb, before pulling away to not overwhelm her. "So Yong, what would you like to do on our next...uh... date?" For lack of better words.

"Hmm, do you like movies?" She asks.

"I love movies! Horrors and thrillers are my favorite."

"Oh god, I'm a baby when it comes to horror." Yong laughs in embarrassment.

"Don't worry, I'll protect you!"

She rolls her eyes at me again. "Well, maybe you could come over and watch a movie? Isn't that what friends do?"

Yes, it is what friends do. But more often than not, it's what people in relationships do together. But I'll let it slide for now. "Yes, friends do that together. As long as you have popcorn, I refuse to watch movies without popcorn."

"I think that can be arranged." She laughs.

Was that a wink? I swear to god I saw a small wink. Here comes the heart earthquake again.

*ding ding*

Yong looks down at her phone and her smile slowly fades away.

"Um Byul, I'm very sorry, but it looks like I've got to cut today short. My father needs me home soon."

I'll admit I was a little disappointed. I know it was never solidified, but I was kinda hoping we could spend the day together. Who knows what we would've done, but her company is all that matters.

I manage to pull out a soft smile, "Oh it's not a problem! We'll finish some other time."

"Our movie..date! How is tomorrow evening?"

Date. Fuck yeah.

"Tomorrow evening is wonderful."

"Great! I'll see you then Byul." She smiles at me as she gets up from her seat and heads towards the door.

She stops before heading out, turning back at me to wave. I wave back, and she heads out.

I have another date with Yong.