Fragment 8: Gaps, Part 3

Ryker Dubs looked at the pale and tired face sitting in front of him. Lysander Tutson's wavy black hair was lifeless, uncombed and slightly greasy. His ice-blue eyes looked as if he was in constant alertness and his hands were sweaty, forcing him to rub them anxiously to get rid of the sweat.

Immediately, the inspector's intuition told him that he was not the culprit in Natalie Arsted's murder case. Lysander looked like a broken man. People with broken lives were frequent guests in police interrogation rooms. However, no matter how authentic and innocent they might appear, they should be considered suspicious and dangerous. Human intuition was sometimes wrong and sometimes right. An inspector could not rely on a whimsical gut feeling or allow his judgment to be clouded in order to solve the case.

"Good evening, Mr. Tutson", Jade greeted Lysander with a smile. Due to his profession, he was probably one of the few people who were really well-disposed towards androids. Jade wanted to take advantage of that if possible. Maybe goodwill would get them further with Lysander than with his wife.

Despite his churning appearance, Lysander nodded politely and quite calmly. Apparently, he forced himself to not be swayed by his emotions so easily. "Good evening."

Nervous constitution, the AI reported the obvious.

After introducing herself and the inspector, the Duty android informed him about the general procedure of the interview as it was always conducted. Lysander listened acquiescently and acknowledged everything.

Cooperation willingness seemingly high, the AI assumed.

"You are the brother-in-law of Natalie Arsted, Mr. Tutson", Ryker Dubs initiated the actual interrogation. "Can you tell us how long you have been acquainted?"

"We met at a New Year's Eve party in 2086. So it hasn't been entirely six years."

Increased fidgeting.

"What was your impression of Natalie Arsted back then and now, Mr. Tutson?", Jade asked Lysander in a calm and friendly voice.

A slight smile appeared on his face but the corners of his eyes pointed down sadly. The AI could see even more nuances in his grieving face.

Mourning authentically. Assuming close relationship to victim.

"She was always a bright personality", Lysander said with a slightly hoarse voice. "A kind woman who cared for those around her. That's what I thought the first time I met her, and my opinion hasn't changed since."

Potential character traits: respectful, grateful, deceptive.

"Did you see each other often?", Jade continued to question him.

"Not really, to be honest", Lysander replied, looking at his own folded hands in front of him. "There were many times when we didn't see each other for months. But she was good company."

"Maybe you think so highly of her because you haven't known the real her?" Jade looked intensely at him. It was provocative. She wanted to know whether this would make him nervous.

Lyss looked up when he heard this. "I don't think so, to be honest. To me she looked like an intelligent woman with serious personal problems. But she always listened to the problems of the people around her readily, happy to help anytime. I can't imagine who would want her dead."

Dishonesty unlikely.

Additional character trait registered: respectful.

Ryker Dubs took note of the AI's observations and thought critically about what he saw right now. Then he decided on a strategy to follow in this conversation.