Jai

I hurried through the gates, cursing myself for waking up so late. I looked as Vansh talked to Aditi.... I paused, my eyes trailing over Aditi. Since it was a Carnival in honor of the Ganpati festival, we were all told to dress in traditional attire and seeing Aditi in an anarkali.... fuck. I had only seen her from beh, nd and I was already speechless. She was wearing a sapphire blue dress with golden embroidery, backless and her hair falling in soft waves. I walked up to her just as Vansh left, and she turned around.
I took in the dangly oxidized jhumkas, the set of bangles that matched the embroidery, the way her necklace highlighted her delicate collar-bone. She was wearing minimal makeup and looked absolutely breathtaking. I noticed her looking at me the same way I was her, taking in all the details. She coughed, making me pause as realization of what I was doing hit me, heat creeping up my neck.
"Excuse me," She said in a small voice as she turned away. I don't know what possessed me to grab her hand the way I did, I only knew that I wanted to be close to her, to have one more moment with her. I picked out a leaf that had fallen on her hair, throwing it away.
I cleared my throat, pondering on what to say as she thanked me, when Aisha came out of seemingly nowhere and grabbed Aditi, taking her away. She said something I didn't quite register as I watched them both go towards the stage. Aditi looked back at me, before quickly turning away as if nothing had happened. Curious about what could make them rush over there, I followed.
I was greeted by our department members who had formed a circle as they vibed along to the songs the artist on stage was singing. I joined them, standing beside Rohit as we all sang and danced, Vansh and Puneet included. The next artist started off with a romantic s. My my gaze automatically found its way to Aditi, who was laughing with Aisha and Bhavin. She glanced in my direction, a blush crawling up her face as she quickly looked away, just like before. Everyone forced Vansh and Puneet to the center of the circle, demanding a couple dance from them, they obliged, spinning  each other and  making us believe in their bromance.
"Wooohoooo! Ab Mahika aur Veer karenge." (Now Mahika and Veer will dance.) Rohit cheered as Vansh and Puneet bowed.
Mahika, a girl from our department, widened her eyes, backing away.
"Aye, ye sab me nai karne wali... tu dance karle uske sath." (Hey, I'm not going to do all this.... you dance with him.)  With that, she pushed Rohit towards Veer. They both exchanged a shrug and danced goofily, ending with a super dramatic pose.
"Ab Aisha aur Bhavin ki baari." Rohit announced, pushing them both to the center. They exchanged shy smiles as Aisha tentatively placed her hand over Bhavin's shoulder, his hand landing on her waist. They swayed to the music, their gazes never straying from each other. I looked over at Aditi, who captured the moment with her camera, looking delighted for her friend. Suddenly, the music changed, making them both jolt away from each other as we all teased them.

Taking a break from all the dancing, we began clicking pictures. Group pictures, solo pictures, and the works.
"Aisha Bhavin chalo jhaldi khade ho jao. Mast pose do." (Aisha Bhavin, come on, stand quickly. Give a good pose.) Aditi called out.
"Are, itna dur kyu khade ho? Thoda paas aao. Bhavin haath kandhe pe daal uske."
( Why are you standing away from each other? Come a little closer. Bhavin put your hand on her shoulder.) Rohit chined in.They obliged, giving shy smiles to the camera as Aditi clicked.

"Aisha... I have something to tell you." Bhavin announced loud enough to gain everyone's attention. We all gathered around them, eager to know what he was about to say. Aditi bit her lip as if she knew what was going to happen and was stopping herself from screaming.
"Aisha, since the moment we met at age 5, you have been my rock, my safe place. Every moment I spend with you leaves me wanting more. You are my bestfriend and I want to be your forever. Will you date me?" We erupted in cheers, chanting 'say yes', drawing the attention of several passersby.
"YES!" Aisha squealed tackling him in a hug as we hooted.
After everyone calmed down, they went back to their own business while Aditi insisted on getting a few more pics of the new couple.
"Ruk teri bhi setting lagwata hu." (Wait, I'll arrange something for you too.) Rohit whispered before walking towards Aditi. Snatching the phone from her, he announced.
"Chalo ab matching kapde walo ka photo lenge. Aditi jaa khadi ho. Jai tu bhi aa."
(Now, let's take pictures of those in matching outfits. Aditi, go stand. Jai, you also come.)
I gingerly stood beside her, afraid she might storm off if I made a wrong move.
"Badhiya! Ab thoda hasso."
(Great! Now smile a little.) We both smiled as the camera flashed.
"Why did you have to wear a blue kurta? Itne saare dusre colors he koi dusra pehen leta."
(There are so many other colors. You could've worn something else.)
"Par mujhe yehi mila na pehle. I was late, but you had plenty of time to get ready. You should've worn some other color.
(But I found this first.)
She turned to scowl at me, fire in her eyes as she placed a palm on my chest. My heart went into overdrive at the simple touch, as I silently hoped she couldn't hear it.
" Waaah! Kya pose diya he." (Wooow! What a pose.) Rohit said, shattering the little world we had locked ourselves in. Aditi stepped back, looking at her palm as if it had moved of its own accord.
Rohit excitedly showed me the pictures, and I had to admit it, we looked great together. Especially when she had her palm on my chest. It looked as if we couldn't see anything but each other.