Chapter 4: Interrogation.

(Anna's narration)

"I am so overwhelmed by everything. I am in pain and agony. At this moment, I don't care about anything. All the decorations, the beauty of this city, it seems pointless. The more time I spend here, the more these decorations suffocate me. I must get out of here. I am tired, so tired. I can't stay here anymore. I don't want to see anyone from my "family". Nor do I want to see Emily."

My eyes got blurry with tears. I crashed into someone. I was about to fall when strong hands held me by my waist. I grabbed that person's collar for support. It started raining, drizzling at first, then turned into a heavy downpour. The rain always calms me down. I needed that. I closed my eyes and tilted my head upwards, feeling the droplets washing my agony."

I opened my eyes and saw the man who kept holding my waist. He was wearing an army uniform. He was sturdy, probably from all the harsh training. He looked strong enough to kill a person, yet he held me delicately. He had a chiselled face and a sharp jawline. He had a small, likely permanent scar on his left upper lip. He was looking at me with curiosity and concern. We were both soaked, the fabric of our clothes sticking to our bodies.

I kept looking at him for a few more minutes. It dawned on me how awkward this situation was. I averted my eyes, feeling shy and embarrassed. I finally took the courage and met his eyes. I struggled to form words. And then I said, thank you. But I started feeling weak and passed out.

I woke up in a room resembling a medical ward. I felt dizzy. Saline entered my body via the tube channelled under my skin.

Where am I? Why does it hurt so much? Why am I here? Who changed my clothes?

A woman was sitting on a chair. Upon seeing me awake, she texted someone. A few minutes later, the man who saved me entered the ward. He was wearing a tight-fitting black T-shirt. He had a broad chest. His biceps were so huge that... I don't know how to describe them. He was huge and attractive. He was not surprised by me staring at him. He was probably used to getting lots of attention from women. I became aware of the action and averted my eyes. The lady left and came back with a device and a camera. The man sat on a chair and looked at me, began the interrogation:

Clarke: I am Captain Clark Harris. She is cadet Lia Wesley. We are here to interrogate you and expect you to cooperate.

Anna: Interrogation? Why? What did I do?

Clarke: This is the protocol. During my patrol, You crashed into me, agitated and wounded. You studied my face with interest just like I studied yours.

I blushed, remembering the incident...

Clark: For all we know, you may be a spy trying to get classified information from us. You are probably trained to play the clueless innocent woman trying to make friends in the military. Or perhaps seduce me for the same intent?

I was hurt. I felt humiliated. I have been humiliated before, frequently. But no one has ever said THIS to me. I was starting to like this guy. I looked at the woman. She looked at me with sympathy. I restained my anger and asked, "What are you implying?

Clarke: I am stating facts. You are here to fish out confidential information. The way you ran into me, looking sad, studying my face, looking at me with eyes full of desire. I refuse to believe that this is a coincidence. You are here to try to seduce me.

Anna: Enough! How dare you accuse me of seduction!? You don't know anything about me!

Clark: I am merely stating facts. Don't pretend to be angry. I have seen this multiple times. They enjoy it just like you.

I slapped him hard. The saline tube came out of my skin along with the adhesive bandage. Blood gushed out from the channel of my hand. He looked at me with wide eyes, astonished and intrigued. Upon noticing blood, he held my hand. I jerked my hand and exclaimed, "Don't touch me!" I looked at him with hatred and said, "You want my identity? My name is Anna Bassett, resident of Dreamstale City! I don't want to see your face CAPTAIN! Farewell."

I got up from my bed and went to the door. I touched the knob and tried to open the door. I felt a needle piercing my neck. I opened the door and walked a few steps when I tripped and fell on the floor. My vision got blurry. I passed out.