Chapter 5: Attraction.

(Clarke's Narration)

Lia managed to make her unconscious with the Chloroform shot. I told her to run a background check on Miss Bassett while I lifted her and took her to the ward. The medics set up everything again.

Miss Bassett was looking troubled even in her sleep. Her face looked pale due to blood loss and fever. She was shivering from the cold. I pulled the blanket over her and brushed a stay lock of her frizzy hair out of her face. I don't know what came over me. I had the urge to take care of her.

I am having flashbacks about Miss Bassett. Flashbacks about this tall, dusky and curvy woman running into me. She was in agony, not in her senses. It started drizzling. And then the heavy downpour soaked us both. It seemed to calm her down. She tilted her face upwards, looking so serene. I didn't dare interrupt the beautiful moment. I was amused and intrigued. When she opened her eyes and looked at me, my heart skipped a beat. It was as if I was enchanted. Her beautiful brown eyes were red from all those tears, but she looked calm. She was studying my face.

I can't forget how she looked at me. And then, she passed out right in my arms. I felt something warm when her hand brushed mine. She was bleeding. I quickly bandaged her hand with my handkerchief. Then I picked her up. She was heavy, probably around 74 KG- 78 KG. It wouldn't be so difficult if she wasn't injured. I was careful to not hurt her injured hand even further.

I have so many questions. Why was Miss Basset so sad? Did she try to commit suicide? Did someone attack her? Or was it another ploy from our enemy?

I remember how they sent an "innocent" girl. She tried to make in fall in love with her. I nearly did. But I am a professional man. I would never leak confidential information to anyone, not even my family. So she tried to get rid of me. When she failed to kill me, she shot herself in the head.

If they are trying to do the same thing within two months... It is stupidity and a waste of resources. Maybe Miss Bassett is innocent.

After an hour, Lia came back with Dr. Emily Bassett. When I heard that they were twin sisters, I was Flabbergasted. Emily is our biggest asset and my best friend. Emily talks a lot about her sister, quite fondly, without mentioning her name and that they are twins. She described her as creative, stubborn, childish yet mature, emotional and stubborn. I could see all of that in Miss Bassett the first time I saw her. Maybe that's why I am so drawn to him.

Miss Bassett woke up. After seeing Emily, she hugged her. Miss Bassett was happy and sad at the same time. She didn't notice me. I left the room so the sisters could spend time together in private.

(Emily's narration)

Emily: Thank God you're safe! I noticed droplets of blood on the table. You were injured. It didn't cut the nerve. You're safe.

Anna: ...

Emily: Dad had no right to insult you like that.

Anna: Yet you kept quiet. Did not protest even once. Instead, you tried to calm me down.

Emily: I am sorry, but I was waiting for the right time.

Anna: And by that time, the damage was done.

Emily: Dad might be strict...

Anna: Strict? He is a racist, fat-phobic and verbally abusive bully! He despises me.

Emily: Firstly, You are not fat anymore. Dad is still living in the COVID-19 days when no one was allowed out of their house. When you put on a lot of weight. We need to change his viewpoint. Secondly, he is not racist. 

Anna: But he makes derogatory comments about my skin. He also despises my creativity. He always comes up with excuses to hurt me. Why?

Emily: Only he can give the answers. I brought clothes from your wardrobe, get changed and let's go home.

Anna: Home? Which home? I don't have a home! Not as long as Mom and Dad are there.

Emily: Anna, please...

Anna: I can't do this. He already fucked up my mental health. I don't want my psychiatrist to increase the dose of my medication for a temporary inconvenience.

Emily: Just come with me. I'll try to make sure he doesn't see you. I'll keep Dad busy at the lab.

Anna: Is it about the antidote?

Emily: Yes. The signals are getting stronger. It's fascinating. I know you are not interested in science. You never were. But your insight can really help us.

Anna: From what you've told me, this mysterious liquid can do more harm than good. I don't get any positive vibes from this.

Emily: It might eliminate other viruses for good. Like they never existed.

Anna: I'll be there to see the progress.

We heard a knock on the door. Clarke came in after getting my permission. He locked eyes with my sister. Their gazes were intense.

"I know that look all too well. Did Clarke swallow nervously? Our Clarke!? Anna is breathing heavily. She usually gets uncomfortable while making eye contact with strangers. But she is boldly looking at him. I KNOW THAT LOOK! THEY ARE ATTRACTED TO EACH OTHER! Hold on... Is Anna angry? Clarke looks nervous. Oh boy, what have you done, Clarke? I must talk to him. He is sinking his ship before letting it sail."

I looked at Clarke and gestured for him to talk to me outside this room while letting Anna change. Once we went out of Anna's earshot, I started interrogating him.

Emily: You fucked up, didn't you?

Clark: ...

Emily: You actually fucked up. Anna is seething with rage.

Clarke: ...

Emily: WHAT HAVE YOU DONE, YOU IDIOT?

Clarke: I thought she was a spy sent to seduce me and get confidential information.

Emily: YOU DID WHAT !?

Clarke: ... I ... slut-shamed her.

The was a heavy pause. And then I gave Clarke a tight slap. Anna probably did the same, rightfully so. He was stunned for a moment before looking at me with regret.

Emily: You deserve this. You owe her a grand apology. Knowing my sister, she'll hate you for a long time. If you want to communicate with my sister (you definitely do), you need to do something big. By the way, you just missed our 23rd birthday celebration at the Dreamstale City clubhouse. In case you forget my birthday. It was 2 days ago. You came back yesterday after serving in Berlin. Luck isn't on your side.

Clarke looked frightened. But he also looked determined.

Clarke: I won't be able to sleep unless I apologise.

I smirked a little. I must help Anna and Clarke get closer. I won't let go of the opportunity to tease them.

Emily: Are you sure that's the only reason that won't let you sleep properly.

Clarke blushed a little. He knows that I know.

Clark: Emily! Stop it!

We broke into laughter. Clarke abruptly stopped laughing. He slightly opened his mouth and was breathing heavily. It looked like his heart skipped a beat. It was as if he was enchanted. He definitely saw my sister.

I looked behind. I was right. Anna came out of the room wearing the knee-length dress and deep pink leggings I got from her wardrobe. When she saw Clarke, she looked enchanted as well. I am using the term "enchanted" because that's how it looks. I tactfully retreated.

"Their chemistry! Oh My God! It's my time to play Cupid."