Chapter 9 : I get those goosebumps every time

Wanda's pov

I entered the compound after being away for a week, everything was exactly where it was when we left. "Hey Wanda!" Peter says as I enter the kitchen. I put my bags on the floor and jumped into his arms. "Peter!" He hugs me back and we talk about his date for a while. "It went really well, we had so much fun," he says with a huge smile. This conversation reminds me that I can't wait to see a certain someone too. I didn't think she would occupy my mind so much but she just makes me feel safe and understood. "Have you seen Amb?" He turns around to stir his soup. "No, I haven't seen her in a few days actually."

"What?!?" My heart starts to beat faster and louder. "We're home!" Tony, Natasha, Steve and Bruce join us. "Hi guys," he says as I try to bring him back to our conversation. "You didn't ask yourselves questions when you saw she was gone?" The others take a few beers and drinks. "What are you guys talking about?" Steve asks. "Amber is missing," I say with worry. "She's not missing, she left me a note." He takes it out of the drawer. "She said she was at a friend's house in the city," Peter finally explains. "I just didn't think it would be for that long." My breathing slows down and I can feel my panic slowly fading away. "You might want to lead with that next time," Natasha says.

"Sorry," he says. "At least we know she's okay," Bruce adds before leaving the room to go work in the lab. ''Yeah,'' I say as I grab a drink. ''Do you want to come for a run with me?'' Peter asked me with excitement. ''I'm actually feeling a bit tired, I think I'm gonna head in early.'' We exchange a few sweet words before I go up the stairs.

I was about to open my door when my eyes adverted to her room. An idea popped into my head so I went into Amber's room instead. I channeled my powers to speak with her telepathically. ''Amber, when are you coming home?'' I can't sense anything from her. I try again with full force. ''Amber, where are you?'' I ask again but no signal. She must be very far away or she must be blocking her mind. I channel my powers again to access the history of movements in her room. If I could trace back her activity maybe I could see where she was going.

I see her dressing up in sweats and carrying her suitcase. Maybe her friend lives in another state. I take a moment and I decide to take back my powers. What am I doing? She has a right to privacy.

-

Amber's pov

"I think we need to run," I say as I point behind him. He turns around quickly and comes back to me. "Yep," he says as he takes me in his arms. "What are you doing? I can run by myself." He tells me to shut it while he carries me out of the airport. "I know somewhere safe." He puts me down and sits on a motorcycle. "Jump on," he says as he starts the engine. We drive around the city until we reach the mountains. ''Couldn't we just teleport ourselves?'' He turns his head. ''I didn't want to draw more attention. They would've kept looking.''

''We need to use another transportation,'' he says as I look at the thick snow that covers the ground. We walk for a while in the forest until we meet a couple on a ski-doo. ''Are you guys lost?'' The tall man asks. Loki lifts his hand and hypnotizes them. ''You're gonna walk back to where you came from,'' he says to them and they nod before leaving us alone with their engines. ''Jump on this one and follow me,'' he says. I drove one once when I was in Canada but I have to admit it was a long time ago.

We drive for a good hour until we reach a small wooden cabin. ''Is this your place?'' I ask. ''Not totally,'' he says. We enter and a familiar voice echoes from the kitchen. ''Brother!'' Thor says as he hugs him. He looks at me and lifts an eyebrow. ''Amber?'' He lets go of his brother and hugs me too. ''What are you doing here?'' I look at Loki and back at Thor. ''It's complicated,'' I answered. "Take a seat. I'm bringing you a beer." It was weird to see him outside of the compound. He was not like the other Avengers since he didn't live with us permanently. He is always coming and going so I don't always have the opportunity to be this close to him.