Chapter 8 : what have I gotten myself into?

I feel so lost ever since everyone is gone. I guess I have been feeling far from home since I got here but I never had the chance to really think about it because of the constant distraction. The sun wakes me up as it shines right through my eyelids. ''Uhmm,'' I groaned. You see, I was admiring the stars yesterday and I forgot to shut my blinds. I get up and immediately look at my phone, a bad habit I caught a few months ago.

Unknown number

Meet me in the garage at ten O'clock.

I get up and decide to go for a run before my very mysterious meeting. I put on my favorite playlist and I get lost in my thoughts. It used to feel so good to spend time alone. But now even when I'm alone, I'm not truly alone. My mind is occupied by my complicated relationships, my fear of failing at my training and my utter need of contact with the normal world. I just need to chill, but I don't know how.

I look around me, the forest completely filling me up with a fresh breeze. I observe how the wind dances through the leaves and suddenly, my face meets the ground. ''Ouch,'' I said out loud. I look at the big tree root as if it was its fault. I feel a bit dizzy, I think I hit my head pretty hard. I feel my phone vibrate in my pocket.

''Hello,'' I say with a raspy voice. ''Amber?!? Are you okay?'' I guess you can't get away with embarrassing moments like this when you're being tracked. ''Bruce, yes I am fine.'' I get up and I rub my forehead. ''What happened? Your pressure dropped to the floor,'' he asks. ''Who are you talking to?'' I hear the Captain's voice in the background. He tells him that he's speaking to me. ''Amber?!? What happened?'' Wanda asks loudly. ''Well, if you'll let me speak with her we would know,'' he sighs and I let out a chuckle. ''I just fell down while running, I swear I'm fine.''

''Did you just faint?'' I know he just wants to make sure I'm okay but don't they have more important things to do. ''Who fainted?'' Nat asks in the background. ''Will you please all just keep quiet?'' Bruce is starting to get irritated. ''Look, I promise I'm okay. You know me, I'm just clumsy.'' I hang up before anyone can say anything else and I run back to the compound. I decide to take off my tracker before hopping in the shower and I get ready for my meeting.

AGENT ROMANOFF

Be more careful. I don't want anything to happen to you when I'm away.

ME

I'll try!

AGENT ROMANOFF

You better do more than try.

I smile as I read those words on my phone. I take my phone between my hands and an idea pops into my head.

ME

Or what?

I see the three dots appearing and then disappearing. I look at the time and I realize that I have to go downstairs.

"Hi, Doctor Laurens!'' I turn around to look at this lovely face. I run towards her and I pull her into an unending hug. ''Maria, I missed you.'' She pushes me out of the hug to take a better look at my face. ''I missed you too.'' We talked a bit about what was new in our lives. We have been friends for over two years now and I haven't seen her in months. ''So, you're not here just because you missed me right?'' Her clean and classy outfit told me that she was also here for work. ''I actually have to borrow you for a mission.'' She explains that I have to go retrieve an important object from a big company, I have to be discreet and use my powers only if needed. ''And you can't tell anyone about this.''

''Okay, sure. But when is it? Because if I'm not back before the Avengers are, they're gonna ask questions.'' She gives me a reassuring face and tells me that it's only gonna take two days maximum. ''So, I leave tonight? With my car? Where to?'' She gives me a quick punch and laughs. ''Don't worry, I was just about to share the details.'' I roll my eyes jokingly. ''So, you have to meet me at the airport tomorrow around 8:00 am. I have a room for you so you can drive tonight.'' I look at her attentively. ''The other details will follow in the next hours. I nod and we part ways, I wanted to go get ready for this spontaneous trip.