Chapter 2 : injuries

"Are you decent?" Someone asks from the other side of the door. Fuck, it's already 7:45 am. "Yeah, come in." Wanda barges in my room with a smoothie and a smile. "Rough night?" She asks because of my messy sheets and hair. "I had trouble sleeping." She puts the smoothie on my bedside table and I go put on some leggings and a sports bra. "I'm ready," I say as I get back in the room. "Great, follow me." We go outside in a field and I look at her with incomprehension. "I thought we were mind training?" I ask and she laughs. "We are, but I need to be outside to use my powers." She has this weird smile and embarrassed energy. "What happened the last time you used them inside?" She laughs as she turns around to push me on the floor with her powers. "Trust me, you don't want to know."

"Show me your powers," she asks and I try to analyze her. "You're blocking me," I say and she laughs. "I gotta make it tough for you." I concentrate and I access her emotions. A big wave of sadness takes over me and I try to absorb it. I channel some positive emotions into her as I look into her eyes.

"Woah," she says, surprised. "You're good," she walks towards me. I take a deep breath because of all the emotions I'm feeling. "Okay, try to enter my mind. I know you can only control and feel emotions but I've seen people be able to access more." I close my eyes and I try to direct my full power and energy on her. I see a white cast and some mumbles but I start to feel dizzy. "You can do this," she says to help me. I see pitch black and before I know it, I faint.

-

"Amber?" Someone asks me as I open my eyes. "Oh hi, Bruce." I get up slowly and he holds me tight. "Careful, you just fainted." Wanda stands behind him and she hands me a water bottle. "Sorry, I didn't mean to push you." I tell her that it's not her fault and that it happens to me frequently. "I would love to run some tests for you," Bruce says kindly but I decline. "Let's continue this tomorrow, okay?" I see Nat running around the compound, she looks at me and runs towards us.

"I have to go inside, I have meetings." Bruce and Wanda decide to hang out a little bit. I enter the house and Natasha enters a few seconds later. "Are you okay?" She asks me but I tell her that everything is fine. She puts her hand on my shoulder and she gets closer. "I swear, I'm fine. You don't have to worry about me." I feel her emotions switch from worried to frustrated. "Are you okay?" I ask and she sighs. "Yeah. You know, sometimes I hate that you can tell how everyone feels and I can't even know what's going on in your head." She takes her hand off me.

We stare at each other for a moment. "I have a meeting with Tony," I say and she nods. "We need to talk," she said as I was leaving. "You've changed," I say. She always had these walls up, never letting me in but now she seems more mature and connected with herself. "You too," she says with a smile. "Tonight?" She asks and I nod. I leave to go to my meeting.

''Tony Stark,'' I say as I enter my office and take out his chart.

-

I get out of the shower, I put on a big t-shirt but then I hear a knock on my door. Can't I have one second to myself? ''Hey,'' I say as I open the door. ''Hi, I just wanted to check up on you!'' Wanda says as she leans on the doorframe. ''Oh, that's so nice but I'm fine! I've been trying to push it but I always end up fainting or having a headache.'' I let her in and her eyes lay on my body. ''That's good to know,'' she says as she clears her throat. "Well, if everything is okay. I-" I look at her, she's anxious right now. "I was about to play a movie, you want to watch it with me?" She accepts the invitation so I put on a pair of joggers and we watch Charlie's angels together.

"So, do you always hear people's thoughts?" I ask curiously. "Oh my god, no. At the beginning I did but it was suffocating. If I want to hear them and if the person agrees, I do but otherwise." She turns towards me with her mouth open. "Oh my god, are you saying that you always feel how others feel?" I nod and she jumps into place. "Okay, let's work on it. God, I can't believe you can tell how people feel all the time. I'm sorry if I was weird earlier, I just don't really know how to make conversation and I don't have many friends and you-" I put my hand in front of her mouth. "You're overthinking it," I say before laughing.