Chapter 5 : flashbacks and massages

I go down to the lab as soon as I wake up. Bruce is already there, working on our prototype. ''So, I tested it with Clint yesterday and it went perfectly. We just need to print more for the mission in two days.'' That's awesome but I didn't know Clint was here. ''Perfect, I'll print them all day, you can go train!'' I take his place and he leaves the lab.

I actually love being in the lab, it reminds me of the years I spent in labs, studying medicine. I could use peace and quiet right now. I kept having memories of Nat and I all night.

-

''Doctor Laurens,'' she says as she enters my office. ''Agent Romanoff, I was waiting for you. Take a seat, please.'' I get up from my desk and come sit in the chair in front of her. ''So, I need to make sure you're ready for your next mission.'' She nods while looking a bit uncomfortable,

''I read your chart, I just have one question for you.'' She looks at me with suspicious eyes. ''Go ahead,'' she says. ''Do you still have nightmares?'' She wiggles in her seat to let me know she really doesn't want to be here. ''What made you want to be a psychiatrist? You could have been a model, or a movie star.'' I look at her and raise my eyebrow.

''Is this your best tactic to evade this conversation,'' I smile unimpressed. To be honest, I was a little bit intimidated by her. ''I thought you were better than this,'' I dare say to challenge her. She raises her eyebrow with a smirk. ''Oh, you're good.''

''I don't have nightmares at the moment,'' she says more seriously. ''Okay, then. You're cleared,'' I tell her with a smile. ''Really?'' She asks as she gets up. She thinks it was too easy. ''Yes,'' I say with a smile while I write in her chart. ''What makes you think I'm ready for a mission?'' She asks while sitting back down.

''Are you not?'' I ask with a cornered smile without looking at her. ''Well, yeah. But you barely spoke to me.'' I lift my eyes from my papers. ''I don't need to and you clearly despise therapy. I can tell how you feel so that's enough for now.'' She looks at me speechless and I get back to my papers. ''I'll be there when you're ready to talk,'' I say while I try to look busy. She gets up and leaves the room.

-

''Hey!'' I turned around to look at the person, his voice was a little too familiar. ''Clint!'' I say as I hug him. ''It's been a long time.'' He stroked my back before letting me go. ''I hear you're coming on a mission with us!'' I nod and I tell him my part in this mission. ''What are you doing here? They never mentioned it.'' He explains that it was very last minute, but he also needed to check on his best friend.

''Has she talked to you?'' I walk towards the printer, I enter some directions to make it do what I need it to. ''Sort of,'' I say. ''She never wants to answer my questions about you.'' Clint and I go way back. I was his psychiatrist for a long time before he quit to have his family. It's because of him that I know so much about Romanoff's past. ''She has some work to do,'' I say as I turn around. ''But you can't do it for her if she doesn't want to.''

''Exactly.'' I give him a wink and I go back to work. I explain that I have a short time frame, he understands immediately and tells me that we'll see each other at dinner.

-

''Are you always working this late?'' She says as she leans on the doorframe of my office. I look up at her, ''Not always.'' She walks to my desk and leans on it. ''You need a break. I see you sitting here all day, everyday.'' Why is she so interested in me all of a sudden? ''Since when do you pay attention to my schedule?'' I ask with a smirky smile.

She chuckles as she comes to my side of the desk. ''Come on,'' she says as she pulls me out of my chair. ''Wait, where are we going?'' I grab my purse fastly as she pulls me out of my office. She stops walking and turns towards me. ''I'm bringing you to dinner,'' she lifted my chin and looked me in the eyes.