61 ♡ golden gaze

You dreamt of something sinister that night.

It was unclear exactly what was happening. At first, all you heard was the crying. The sound of a child crying. You looked everywhere, but couldn't find the source. It was pitch black, so all you could do was wander around aimlessly. There were moments where the crying grew louder; other times, it was so soft that it almost disappeared altogether.

By some miracle, you managed to navigate through the darkness and find who you'd been searching for. A little girl with long grayish-white hair and big ruby eyes that were filled with tears. She was wearing a short-sleeved dress, tan-colored and awfully dirty-looking. Poking out of the right side of her forehead was what appeared to be a horn.

But what drew your attention the most were the bandages wrapped all over the girl's small arms and legs. And the fact that she was crying... you knew it didn't bode well.

"Are you okay?" you mumbled, approaching her as slowly as possible, so as not to take her by surprise.

She didn't respond. Instead, she kept on crying-silently, this time. Her tiny body was trembling uncontrollably, and all she could do was hug her sides in an attempt to fend the tremors off.

You reached out to her, but just then, another figure appeared from the darkness.

His bright golden eyes were what you noticed first. They were framed by thick lower lashes, the irises seeming to be constricted as they stared at you. His dark brown hair was short-cropped, but most of his face was obscured thanks to the plague doctor mask he was wearing. You couldn't tell what sort of expression he was making. All you had was the look in his eyes to go off.

But that look was enough to deeply unsettle you.

"Get out of my way," he said coldly. "You're filthy."

You realized too late that the little girl's sobs had grown louder once the strange man appeared. He lifted his gloved hand with the intent of grabbing her, and she recoiled away from him, burying her face into her arms and refusing to so much as make eye contact.

Realizing nothing about this situation was normal, you grabbed the man's arm and glared at him.

"Stop it," you hissed. "Can't you see? She's terrified of you."

You'd expected for him to look angry. After all, it was obvious that you were getting in his way. But you hadn't expected for him to look so incredibly disgusted too.

He slapped your hand away faster than you could even blink, then lowered his voice until it was nothing more than a raspy whisper.

"Don't touch me. Don't you ever touch me."

And then you woke up.

*****

When you came to, there was a note on your nightstand.

Sorry. I can't show you anything else without it being considered interference. Even this much is already bound to get me in trouble with my father. Make of it what you will.

- Aphie

You let out a groan and rubbed at your head. Zeus and Hera had both made it very clear that the gods weren't supposed to get involved with you anymore, but Aphrodite and Ares really were a pair of troublemakers.

Aphrodite had clearly shown you that ominous dream as some sort of foreshadowing. Was that man someone you would eventually encounter, or were you meant to seek him out for yourself to try and help that little girl? Had she been kidnapped or something? Whatever the case, someone needed to be alerted about the situation. But then again... you didn't have any evidence. And you certainly couldn't just say you'd received some sort of precognitive vision from the gods. Ugh.