52 ♡ thriving devotion

In retrospect, you probably should've predicted something like this from the start. The second U.A's Sports Festival had been broadcasted for just about the entire world to see, you were already at a disadvantage. Lesser-known schools had the element of surprise on their side, but for someone who'd had the spotlight on them-which was especially true for your class in particular-your Quirks were pretty much public knowledge.

"Shit!" you squealed, jumping out of the way as deftly as you could. Balls were flying at you from every direction. Thankfully, with Izuku manning the frontline, your classmates were able to react in time and muster up a defense, but you were the only one who couldn't use their powers physically. All you could do was dodge and weave in between students, and in the process of doing so, one of your targets ended up getting hit.

Ugh. One of them has already been taken out...

Izuku rushed to place himself in front of you. "[Name]-chan, are you okay?"

"I'm good," you reassured. "But this isn't the best spot for me to be in. My Quirk can't help us to avoid those balls, and there's too many people around. There's no way I can successfully use my powers on countless students at a time."

Sure, your class had ended up deflecting most of the projectiles, but if you stayed here too long, you would be in serious trouble. This was the absolute worst kind of situation for someone like you who relied on controlling others. If you let your guard down and focused too much on one person, you would leave yourself open to all sorts of attacks. Not to mention that it would be difficult to lock onto a target in the first place, with all the noise and visual obstructions going on. You needed to get away as quickly as possible and distance yourself from this group.

But that was obviously easier said than done.

"Everyone, make some space!" you heard a familiar voice call out. There he was, near the front of all of them. The guy with the dubious personality from before, Shindou. You had no idea what his Quirk was, so when he slammed both his palms down onto the ground, you couldn't help but tense up. "These guys clearly have a solid defense," he gritted out. "So... I'll just have to break it down! Maximum power!"

Violent tremors began to spread across the battlefield. You lurched, feeling unsteady on your own two feet, only to watch the ground literally be torn to pieces.

"An earthquake?! Oh, come on!" you cried out.

Jagged protrusions ruptured from the ground, but by some miracle, you managed to keep from falling right on your head. You ended up with a couple of bruises and scrapes, but all things considered, it definitely could've been worse.

When you rose back to your feet, your classmates were nowhere in sight.

"He split us up," you mumbled. "Probably to make us easier to pick off..."

Lucky!

Shindou, that devilish bastard. He didn't know it, but he'd actually done you a massive favor. So long as you stayed alert, you would have a much better chance at eliminating opponents one-on-one to clear the stage.

Speaking of, you could hear some vague shuffling coming from behind you. You managed to swivel around right in time to see a student from a different school trying to sneak up on you and hit one of your targets.

"Don't move," you breathed, activating your Quirk immediately. His arm froze in midair, the ball falling from his grip. You gave him a quick look-over and sighed. "Sorry about this," you mumbled. You used all three of your balls to hit each one of his targets. Hitting a person's final target meant that you'd scored a takedown, and you only needed two takedowns in total to pass. This meant that he'd already been eliminated, just like that.