"Is that what Emery said to you at the end?" She remembered Alden's slight nod. "He told you something telepathically, didn't he?"

"You are observant, aren't you?" He sighed. "He was giving me another instruction for you."

Her stomach turned. "Is it bad?"

"Of course not. Come with me."

He took her hand and leaped them to the edge of Eternalia, where a row of identical crystal castles glowed pink and orange in the sunset.

"Where are we?" Sophie asked as he led her toward the farthest one.

"These are the Councillors' offices. You have an appointment with Councillor Terik."

Nerves weakened her legs, causing her to miss a step on the way to the door. Alden's quick reflexes prevented her from falling. Before he could knock, the door swung open, revealing an elf with wavy brown hair and a circlet adorned with emeralds. His cobalt blue eyes examined Sophie with curiosity as she dropped a shaky curtsy, and Alden offered a graceful bow.

"Do you want me to stay?" Alden asked.

Terik waved him away. "It works better one-on-one—you know that."

"Then I'll be back in ten minutes." He squeezed Sophie's shoulder. "Just relax, Sophie. No reason to worry."

She nodded, her mouth too dry to speak.

Terik escorted her inside, leading her to an oval sitting room adjacent to the main entryway. Gesturing for her to take a seat in one of the plush armchairs, he settled across from her. "Did Alden explain why you're here?"

She shook her head, unable to find her voice.

He chuckled, the sound reverberating off the crystal walls and easing the tension in the room. "There's no need to be afraid. What's about to happen is considered quite an honor. Parents beg me to do this for their children, and I typically refuse. It causes too many problems." He sighed. "It's quite a burden being the only Descryer."

He seemed to be expecting a response, so she nodded once more.

"You have no idea what that means, do you?"

She hesitated for a moment before shaking her head.

"How incredibly refreshing. It means I can sense potential. So you can see why parents are always clamoring for me to meet their children. I used to agree, but then I noticed how often it backfired. Potential is nothing if it's not lived up to, now is it?"

She cleared her throat, realizing she hadn't spoken since she'd arrived. "No."

"She speaks! I was beginning to wonder if you'd forgotten how." He smiled. "I know you're nervous, Sophie, but I promise you have no reason to be. The Council decided that—given today's unusual circumstances—it might be a good idea for me to see what I sense about you. It's painless, I assure you. All I have to do is hold your hands and concentrate. Do you think you can handle that?" He extended his hands towards her.

She hesitated half a second before placing her hands in his. A small part of her feared what he would find, but she also knew this wasn't optional. She took a deep breath as he closed his eyes.

"Fascinating," he whispered, staring into space.

It felt like one million seconds passed before he released her hands and stood up.

"Incredible."

"Am I allowed to know what you sensed?" she asked quietly.

"I would tell you if I knew what to say. I felt something—something strong. But I couldn't tell what it was."