Chapter no.19 Pokemon Master?!

Start from the beginning

He flipped to the pages that detailed each class more thoroughly, looking for answers. Suddenly, something else caught his eye.

"Pokémon Master."

"No way!"

Ash felt his heart leap into his throat, the excitement and curiosity nearly overwhelming him as he prepared to uncover one of the biggest mysteries from his childhood: What exactly is a Pokémon Master?

He eagerly turned the page.

"A Pokémon Master refers to the highest class of a Pokémon battler. This coveted title is the dream of many, yet over the last 40 years, only two Pokémon Masters have ever been crowned by the United Regions Pokémon League (URPL). While the categories below this are newer, the title of Pokémon Master has ancient roots. Historically, emperors would bestow this title upon the strongest of their civilization. Even as ancient civilizations fell, the title remained unchanged. It is theorized that throughout history, only about 100 individuals have had the capabilities to achieve the title of Pokémon Master."

Ash's mind raced with astonishment. Throughout history, only a hundred? He imagined himself dramatically spitting out a drink in shock.

He gulped and continued reading about the unchanged requirements needed to become a Pokémon Master.

"Have a battle rating of 2500 minimum." Ash blinked. The bare minimum to be considered was being a champion, the strongest in a region.

"Defeating three other champions from different regions in a tournament."

Ash's first thought was, How are you supposed to get multiple regional champions in one tournament?

"Be judged to have the skills necessary to be worthy of the title by a council."

Given the first two requirements, Ash mused that this council was surely not composed of ordinary individuals but rather very important figures within the Pokémon world.

Overwhelmed by the gravity and near-impossibility of these requirements, Ash closed the book and sighed deeply.

"What's got you so shook?"

Ash looked up to see Yellow approaching, her appearance disheveled as if she had just woken up, and she yawned loudly.

"You want good morning, afternoon, or goodnight?" Ash joked, noting it was 3 PM.

"I like to sleep," Yellow huffed as she plopped down beside him.

"Well, I was just shocked at the requirements of a Pokémon Master," Ash replied, still reeling from what he had read.

"Haha, are you still keeping that dream alive?" Yellow teased.

"Hn," Ash grunted.

I guess even in this new world, some things are always going to be the same. Ash Ketchum still dreamed of becoming a pokemon master.

"What's the plan?" Yellow then asked, her tone shifting to something more serious.

"What plan?" Ash responded, puzzled.

"The plan on what we are going to do? Your dream of becoming a Pokémon Master," Yellow said, pausing as she noticed the unsure look on Ash's face.

"What's wrong, babe?" she asked gently, placing her hand over his.

Ash sighed deeply.

Pokémon Master, that's Ash Ketchum's dream, not mine.

Ash looked at Yellow earnestly and admitted, "I don’t know if I want to be a Pokémon Master."

Ash waited for some kind of reaction, and what he got was a radiant smile from Yellow that made his heart skip a beat.

"That's great," Yellow said enthusiastically.

"Huh?" Ash responded, slightly confused.

"No, no, I mean it’s great that you can do what you want. It’s not like you have to chase after being a Pokémon Master. Dreams aren’t always meant to be fulfilled. We change and understand that we are meant for different things. You know what I mean, right?" Yellow explained.

Ash nodded in agreement.

"So, what’s the new dream?" Yellow asked, her eyes sparkling with curiosity.

"For now, nothing, maybe travel, who knows," Ash replied casually.

"Welcome aboard," Yellow announced cheerfully.

"What?" Ash asked, puzzled.

"Remember how I said I wanted to be a wildlife photographer?" Yellow continued.

"Yes," Ash lied, playing along.

"Well, I lied because I don't know what to do with my life. Maybe eat and sleep, other than that, I don’t know," Yellow admitted with a candid shrug.

"Okay, but why wildlife photography?" Ash probed further.

"Simple, it was something that will allow us to be together. You can go on training and battles, and I can snap a photo here and there, and we will be together…" Yellow blushed as she shared her thoughts.

"Thanks," Ash replied, touched by her consideration.

"Guess, with our aimless lives exposed, looks like our decision on what type of Pokémon trainers we are going to be is going to be different?" Ash mused aloud.

"Like Specialist Trainers or Operational Trainers?" Ash asked, trying to categorize their path.

"No, I mean the type under the context of Trainer Mobility," Yellow corrected with a smile.

Ash gave a blank expression.

Of course, another new term that I don't know of.

...

[ Author Note: Okay, so I finally gave a proper definition to what exactly a Pokemon master is. Look, I know the Pokemon anime gave us a very vague definition of what a Pokemon master is and frankly, I don't care. I just created my own definition alongside other trainer classes like Class E, C, Gym Leader, Ace Trainer, etc. I based all of it on chess titles and Elo ratings, etc. Like the Pokemon master, its 3 requirements are directly ripped off from how Grandmaster Chess players are given their title. Anyways, I hope you enjoy it and I hope you all like that I made Peter Asher, or Ash's dream, nothing. He is going to find it and through that, I can build up the Pokemon world as Yellow and Ash goof around trying to do stuff. ]