Chapter no.18 Rattata and Ash

Start from the beginning

"Onwards!" Ash mumbled, chuckling as he walked along. This world seemed much nicer than Earth, Ash observed, as he saw kids smiling at him—or more importantly, at Rattata perched amusingly on his head.

_______________________________________

The store Ash entered had that distinct 90s flair. The shelves were stocked with familiar products, yet the design elements from the neon signs to the patterned floor tiles. Normal as it seemed, the store hosted an unusual assistant—a Butterfree. This Pokémon resembled a vaguely anthropomorphic butterfly, with a purple body and only two body segments, unlike true insects. It had four light blue legs, the upper pair resembling small hands and the lower pair long feet. Two black antennae, a light blue snout with two fangs, and large, red compound eyes added to its striking appearance. Its wings were white with black venation.

"Oh!" Ash thought, pausing to admire one of his favorite Pokémon, reminded of the emotional episode in the anime where Ash Ketchum released his own Butterfree.

"What can I do for you, kid?"

A voice snapped Ash out of his reverie.

He turned to see the shopkeeper smiling at him.

"Ah, I want to buy some soda," Ash said, trying to divert his gaze from the Butterfree.

"This is my partner, you can pet her; she is very friendly," the shopkeeper offered as Ash tentatively reached out to touch the beautiful creature.

"Free!" Butterfree cooed as Ash gently rubbed its head, noting how fuzzy it felt. Suddenly, he felt a little dizzy as Raticate jumped down from his shoulder and nudged her head against his leg, seemingly jealous.

"Looks like Raticate gets jealous easily," Ash thought, hearing the shopkeeper chuckle.

"Ladies, am I right?" the shopkeeper joked, to which both Raticate and Butterfree glared at him.

"What kind of soda do you want?" the shopkeeper then asked.

"Are there different prices?" Ash inquired.

"Not really, most of the brands are around 1 Pokédollar."

"Sure, can you get me two of the most popular sodas and a bag?"

"Rat!" Rattata squeaked.

"Two bags of chips," Ash added.

"Brand?" the shopkeeper asked.

"Doesn't matter," Ash replied, watching as Butterfree gracefully flew behind the counter and returned with two bags of chips branded with a Flareon and the tagline 'Taste the Heat.' The sodas featured a Lapras mascot.

Ash handed over the money he had received from Professor Oak, paying for his items. He thought to himself, Of course the brands are different. Looks like I can't just do a one-to-one comparison, but at least I have a better idea of the value now.

"You aren't from around here," the shopkeeper remarked, observing Ash as he made the transaction.

"Yeah," Ash replied, feeling a bit out of place. Back on Earth, he would simply pay for his stuff and leave without much interaction.

"Let me guess, you came to get your trainer license and tier 2," the shopkeeper said, giving Rattata a knowing glance.

"Sure," Ash said, playing along. He was curious to see where this conversation would lead.

"Look, it's not my place to intervene or say much, but I think you shouldn't go into the Pokémon league," the shopkeeper advised in a tone that was neither arrogant nor hostile, just offering some friendly advice from someone who seemed to have seen it all.