16. Starlit Skies And Rumbling Clouds

Happy Rama Navami! 💚
(Ignore that it was yesterday 🥲)

"Maa? Why are there so many lights in the sky?"

"We call those stars my lal." The youngest queen smiled in amusement, not parting her gaze with the intricate embroidery she painstakingly worked on.

"What are stars?" Her eldest child nudged curiously, his tiny eyes sparkling inquisitively through the dark curls cascading over his large eyelashes, as he stared in astonishment at the vast gem-encrusted veil of pitch black overhead.

Sumitra paused and glanced at the third Dasharathi, and then up at the beautiful night sky, that stretched intimidatingly, yet calmly, over the large, lamp lit, palatial terrace.

"Stars..." She sighed, a peaceful smile lingering across her lips as her gaze traced the resplendent jewels illuminating the atmosphere. A small gust of wind washed serenely over the space, causing the flames to flicker wildly, their magnified shadows dancing intimidatingly on the golden bricked walls.

"They're the planets belonging to your ancestors, my darling." Sumitra breathed with a gentle smile. "You see that one wayy over there?" She pointed to a far away star, that shone brighter amongst the inferior luminaries. "That one is Maharaja Harishchandra, your great, great, great, great ancestor, who-"

"Sumitra!" Kaikeyi's soft yet distinct call rang resonantly through the staircases leading to the rooftop, and the younger queen paused her narration, perking up as the second entered the terrace. She was not alone however, with Rama and Bharat trailing excitedly behind her, decked in their cozy nightdresses, and engaged animatedly in a very important conversation, while a distant-minded Shatrughna clung sleepily to her pearl laden neck, unbothered by the sudden change of surroundings as his small eyelids dropped, threatening to flutter securely to a close.

"What happened?" Sumitra asked, rising from her spot in surprise upon seeing all the princes. "Is everything okay?"

Kaikeyi sighed in concealed exasperation. "Mat pucho Sumi, ever since Maharaja and Kaushalya Didi have left for Angadesha, inn teeno ne toh mera jeena mushkil kar rakha hai." The young queen whined, her face red due to frustration, a kind that held more amusement than annoyance.

Sumitra giggled, failing miserably to suppress it as she surveyed the seriously conversing older two. Placing her hands on her hips in playful offense, the queen glared at the children.

"Rama? Bharat? What did both of you do? See? Now your Kaikeyi Maa is so frustrated because of both of you." She scolded in a firm tone as Kaikeyi gently set Shatrughna next to Lakshman on the large swing, wrapping the younger prince in a small blanket as he cuddled like a sleepy kitten into his brother.

"M..maa? Wh..what did we do?" Bharat stammered, slightly frightened by the queen standing intimidatingly over him.

"Maa, we didn't do anything. Trust me!" Rama quickly intervened, looking innocent as ever. "We only...asked for a story." The prince whined softly, pouting almost invisibly, causing Sumitra to melt.

But when all four of the princes began to chant the word 'story' all of a sudden, the queen facepalmed, realizing what her sister had gone through earlier. And as if to make it worse, the older queen joined in with the kids.

"Come on Sumitra! We all know you're the best storyteller in the entire family. I want to listen too! Pleeaase?" She nudged, settling snugly on a beautifully designed hammock with Bharat in her lap as Rama crawled aboard the swing next to the twins.

Sumitra sighed in surrender, chuckling fondly at her overly excited children as she settled beside them, taking the almost fast asleep Shatrughna in her arms.