Chapter no.17 Pikachu

Start from the beginning

"Abra, wake up!" Ash whispered, gently rocking the psychic Pokémon back and forth.

"I am awake, I am awake, you damn slave laborer," Abra complained telepathically, clearly annoyed at being disturbed.

"Sorry for waking you up," Ash apologized.

"Whatever," Abra grumbled, then turned its attention to Pikachu.

"What's with the obese rat?"

Ash felt a bead of sweat trickle down his forehead but sighed in relief since the telepathic communication was only between them.

"What now?" Ash asked Professor Oak, eager to move forward.

"Try to establish communication with Pikachu," Professor Oak instructed.

"You heard the man," Ash said to Abra.

Abra turned to Pikachu and telepathically greeted, "Hello there, obese rat!"

Ash watched as Pikachu's expression instantly changed; its whiskers and ears stood erect, and electricity crackled from its cheeks in annoyance.

"You couldn't keep your mouth shut," Ash muttered, his teeth clenched in frustration.

"My mouth was shut throughout everything," Abra retorted smugly.

Ash sighed, resigned to smoothing things over.

"Let's just give a proper introduction. Just translate what I say to Pikachu, okay?"

"Got it," Abra responded, ready to assist—this time hopefully without any insults.

"Hello there, Pikachu, my name is Ash," Ash said, directing Abra to telepathically translate his greeting.

Pikachu looked up, visibly confused.

"Pika?" it responded.

"What did he say?" Ash asked Abra.

"Did that human name you Ash?" Abra replied, relaying Pikachu's words.

Ash facepalmed.

"Don't tell me you translated it word for word," he asked, exasperated.

Abra gave him a smug look.

"I should have chosen someone else as a partner," Ash muttered.

"Well, you chose the talking chick magnet," Abra retorted.

"Can you take this a little more seriously?" Ash pleaded.

"You are getting me a book after this," Abra bargained.

"Why a book?" Ash inquired.

"I am trying to find the secrets of humanity and making a plan to take over the world. Or learn how to use the coffee machine; depends on how much I want to load," Abra replied, causing Ash to sweat drop.

"What do you mean load?"

"Well, my trainer, a psychic like me has a highly developed temporal lobe which creates a lot of waste products inside my mind every time I use my psychic powers. To eliminate these waste products I need to go to sleep for long periods of time but once I am awake, my temporal lobe is inside a phase that I call 'Loading phase,' it's just a fancy term for synaptic plasticity," Abra explained.

"What?" Ash asked, confused.

"Synaptic plasticity is where neurons adjust their connections and strength based on new inputs," Abra clarified.

"So you need something like a book for that new input," Ash concluded.

"Exactly, even an idiot like you can understand it," Abra said sharply.