chapter thirteen.

PANIC CREEPS IN, constricting my lungs.

"Who the fuck are you?" Reaper demands coldly, staring down at Anthony.

"I should be asking you that question," Anthony shoots back and his gaze moves to me. "Amelia, I'm disappointed. Having your flings around my daughter? That's not very responsible of you."

I stride forward, furious and upset that this moment with Reaper has been destroyed. "What the hell are you doing here?"

I need to get him to leave as soon as possible. But it's too late.

Elodie's door opens behind me and she comes out. "Dad?" Her voice is filled with tentative hope.

No matter how many times he lets her down or loses his temper or does some other horrible, unforgivable thing, Elodie continues to love her father. And I will never fault her for that—she deserves the childlike optimism that I never got to have.

"Hi baby." Anthony smiles. "I've missed you."

God, that is such bullshit.

She runs forward, slips under Reaper's arm and throws herself at her father. Anthony hugs her tight, but he is smirking at me above her head.

"Alright, that's enough. Elodie, go finish your homework. Miss Magnolia will be here soon. Your dad has to go anyway."

"Actually, I've got some time to kill," he says. "Who's Miss Magnolia?"

"She babysits me in the evening while Ammy works. But maybe you can stay with me tonight instead?" Elodie asks, hope gleaming in her eyes.

Anthony smiles. "I'd love to–"

"He can't," I interrupt. "Elodie, room. Now." I point and she glares at me. I hate this; having to be the bad guy when I'm really just trying to protect her.

She doesn't fight me though, just ducks her head, squeezes her father's hand and then trudges back to her room.

I wipe my hand down my face, frustrated beyond words. Only when I hear Elodie's door close do I say, "How dare you come here and get her hopes up like that? You need to leave right now."

"Why should I? She's my daughter. I have every right to see her," Anthony says.

Reaper has remained mostly silent, but now he seems to lose his patience. "She said you need to leave." His voice is low and menacing.

Anthony scoffs. "I really don't need the opinions of whatever moron Amelia is fucking–"

He doesn't get to finish his sentence. Reaper's hand flies out and grips his throat, shoving him backward and dragging him down the hallway. I race forward, chasing after them. Anthony scrabbles desperately at Reaper's wrist, his face turning red, but Reaper is an unstoppable force. He throws Anthony down the steps like a ragdoll, who lets out a loud shout of pain, and then calmly walks down after him till he is standing above him, casting Anthony in his shadow.

"Unless Amelia invites you back, you shouldn't come around here again. If you do..." He presses his boot against Anthony's neck, applying pressure slowly. Anthony writhes and tries to hit his ankle, but it's no use. "You won't be walking out of here again."

I expect him to let Anthony up...but he doesn't. He applies more pressure and Anthony starts to choke.

"Reaper," I whisper, hugging my arms around myself. He blinks over at me and then steps back. Anthony coughs and heaves, turning over onto his stomach.

"Come on," Reaper mutters, stalking toward me and wrapping his arm around me. He leads us back toward the unit, but I glance over my shoulder and find Anthony glaring at me as we go.