Birthdays are SAD

I was in 5th grade. So happy and so excited for my upcoming birthday. To wear a birthday dress and go to school. To celebrate an evening perfectly.

I was unaware of the fact that my dad was struggling with finances at that time. Which means we didn't have money. At least we couldn't celebrate something.
Yet my dad showed interest in my plans.
I still wonder how he managed and did everything that day. Cakes and props. People and their food. My parents didn't leave a single thing.

But why weren't we happy that day?

11th Feb 2016
It was my cousin's birthday.  So my aunt was all crazy laughing and all and my mother helped her too. So that day went perfectly. The birthday went smoothly. My cousin, my sister and I were happy.

12th Feb 2016
My dad due to some emergency had to drive to two states down. So he was not here that day.
I called him and asked
"Promise me you'll be there on my birthday"
"I will beta!" He said
"Promise?" I asked him again
"Yes promise," he said and laughed

13th Feb 2016
The morning was gloomy. But not for me I was excited about the next day.
I woke up late that day. Around 10 am?
So I got dressed and all.
At noon, I decided to study. Since my finals were near too.
I heard a sharp scream.
It was my aunt. I peeked a little outside. I saw my mother and my aunt standing on the pavement between the kitchen and our bedrooms.

"Don't you dare tell me what to do" I saw my aunt scream.
"But you shouldn't throw the washed clothes out of the washing machine." My mom said
We only had one washing machine.
"So? Don't you do that?" My aunt asked sarcastically
"I have never. Remind me a day when I did." My mom replied
My aunt started thinking but she couldn't think of any such incident. How could she? My mother I knew was the most caring and intellectual person at that time.

"Yeah, whatever. You can't boss me" my aunt said
"Sure. Just the next time, don't throw the washed clothes on the floor." My mother said trying to avoid further arguments.
"Shut up!" My aunt screamed.

And then came my grandfather.
"What's wrong?" He asked
My aunt started wailing.
"She always rules me and tells me to work" pointing out my mother she said
My grandfather knew my mother didn't agree and replied
"I don't believe that."

And lord the amount of drama she inherits.
She started banging her head on the wall. On each side of the pavement. It was terrific. Of course, her head started to bleed. She was constantly muttering.
"No one cares about me. I'm a liar. You are calling me a liar."
She told my grandfather.

My grandfather told her to stop but she won't. Then he asked him hurriedly because he panicked.
"What do you want?"
"Either she would live in this house or I will"

Ouch. My heart.

There remained a silence for about 2 minutes and then my grandfather said.
"You go wherever you want."
And then he left that sight.

And then she pointed at my mother saying that she was a curse. Or else my grandfather would have never talked to her like that

But then it didn't stop there.
She went to her bedroom. Packed all her bags. Told her kids to not see us. And called her husband and told him to book tickets somewhere and that she wouldn't live here any more.

See. The argument wasn't a big deal. The amount of disrespect she can show even if my mother or my grandfather is older than her is a matter of fact. And alright in this generation we are allowed to express ourselves. But disrespect? And bad-mouthing? There's something wrong with it.
My uncle came back home. At that time I was close to him. So before he went to her wife, he silently came to me and asked while I was sobbing.
"What's wrong Ruchi?"
"They were fighting!" I said
"Who were?" He asked
"Mom and aunt" I replied
"I see. But why are you crying?" He asked.
"I don't like the noise," I said
He wiped my tears off and said it's gonna be alright. And said that tomorrow is my birthday so I shouldn't cry.
He gave me a candy he had in his pocket and went to her wife.

I ate it and went to my room and saw my mother crying. I held her. She said she doesn't want to live here. She isn't feeling alright. I calmed her and she slept.
That could be the first day of my life when I skipped my meal.

14th Feb 2016
The next morning I woke up again excited but a little frightened.

My mother told me to go and meet all the elders in the house and take their blessings. So I jumped out of the bed and went to everyone. Except my aunt and uncle. I was scared. So I stood outside their room. Gulped, and finally entered the room. I gave a smile to my uncle and he smiled a bit. I first went to my aunt to touch her feet.

She removed her feet and told me to go away
"Don't. You all don't touch me."
I couldn't hold it back when I ran downstairs crying and feeling a shattered heart inside. I heard my uncle screaming at my aunt. And I felt like I was a mess and I was the reason behind everything that happened.
I went to my mother and told her everything.
She wiped off my tears and told me that it was alright and then kissed my head.  And then my father arrived.
Oh! What a relief it was. I rushed to him and he wrapped his arms around me. And said:
"HAPPY BIRTHDAY BETA!"
"THANK YOU DAD! I LOVE YOU! and I missed you." I said

We went inside the room and the hours passed and it was time for us to have a party. But then I didn't have any will. I got dressed and sat down. Then my uncle came with a present. I couldn't help but smile so wide. I quickly unwrapped it and it was sketchbooks and two books that could enhance my sketching. I hugged him and he said
"Happy birthday Ruchi."
I smiled and said "Thank you"

I don't remember the rest
I knew my uncle gifted me something I always wanted. Because I wanted to be an artist.

I also knew my father was back so things would be alright now.

And I knew that I would never feel like a kid again.