chapter 8 • I VALUE MY SANITY

✧

✧.*

A variety of treats and foods were used to decorate the table.

"Do you think it's safe to eat?" Whispering softly, Percy turned to face Victoria, who had already started eating.

"Didn't your mother ever teach you to never watch a woman eating, Jackson?" Victoria said, covering her mouth with her hand.

Percy glanced back at Grover and grinned slightly, waiting for an answer.

"Percy, I'm not gonna lie to you, I'm really hungry, and I'm ready to take that chance."

He was fascinated by the food, but watching Victoria, a jealous expression overtook his features as he saw her eating before him. He felt betrayed—she didn't even wait for him.

Annabeth walked in, looking out of place, clearly not wanting to be there.

"Glad you came," said Percy, a hint of enthusiasm in his voice.

"It isn't the same for me as it is for you," snapped Annabeth.

"Why—" asked Percy cluelessly. Then, at that exact moment, a voice spoke.

"You're concerned I'll hold a grudge against you just because you're the daughter of Athena. You shouldn't be. We're not our parents, after all, and you and I might have more in common than you think. Please sit and eat."

The voice belonged to Medusa, of course.

Percy and Grover obliged, while Annabeth chose to stand where she was. "So if you're not a monster, what are you then?" Percy asked, avoiding her gaze.

"A survivor," she said calmly.

"You gotta be a little more than that. There's a whole Fury terrified of you," Percy said, looking at Victoria to avoid making eye contact with the monster.

"She knows what I think about her. I don't like bullies. When one ends up on my doorstep, they end up spending a lot more time than they intend to. The gift the gods gave me is that I cannot be bullied anymore," Medusa said, pacing quietly before taking a seat in her chair.

Annabeth snapped, "What my mother did to you wasn't a gift; it was a curse."

"You are loyal to your mother..."

"Yes."

"You stand by her?"

"Always."