Serendipity

finding something good without looking for it

In the cave, silence reigned for what seemed like an eternity. Athena's gaze drifted to the weary young girl before her, sensing her exhaustion. "Hey, Charlotte," she beckoned softly, "come here and rest. Take my jacket." The girl obeyed, offering a quiet thanks before drifting into slumber.

Athena returned to her spot, brushing off the goosebumps that prickled her skin. She glanced over to find Bellamy still fixated on the fog outside "Hey, Bellamy," she ventured, stepping closer to him, "Are you okay?" 

His gaze remained distant as he confessed, "I'm worried about the others." "I get it," Athena tried to reassure him. "The entire forest must have heard the horn, and there's plenty of space in the dropship for everyone." 

"You should rest," he suggested softly, his gaze finally meeting hers before he turned away without offering any further explanation.Accepting his advice, Athena settled herself in the cave making herself as comfortable as possible.

Exhaustion weighed heavily upon Athena, and she succumbed to sleep soon after. However, her slumber was abruptly shattered by a piercing "NO" echoing through the cave. Startled, she jolted upright, noticing a jacket that had draped over her, now lying on the floor. 

Quickly retrieving it, she hurried to the source of the scream, where she found Bellamy already awake, gently waking up the still-sleeping girl. "Charlotte, wake up," he urged softly. "I'm sorry," the girl murmured, her voice tinged with distress as she realized the disturbance she had caused. Concern etched across his features, Bellamy inquired, "Does it happen often?"

Athena remained silent, observing the interaction between Bellamy and the young girl before her. She found herself intrigued by this unfamiliar side of Bellamy, a departure from the commanding and dismissive demeanor she had grown accustomed to. 

As he addressed the girl with a mixture of concern and gentleness, Athena couldn't help but feel a shift in her perception of the freckled boy. Witnessing his genuine care and empathy stirred something within her.

"Slay your demons, kid. Then you'll be able to sleep," Bellamy uttered softly as Charlotte drifted back into slumber. When he turned to find Athena still watching him, a smile gracing her lips, he felt a sense of vulnerability wash over him. 

"That was sweet" she said to him, still observing him. Her comment, though simple, struck a chord within him. However, feeling exposed, he chose not to respond, instead letting the moment linger in the air between them.

"Having a caring side is not a bad thing you know that, right ? " she says in attempt to get somewhat a response from him. "Maybe. But being caring will not get you anywhere here on the ground," Bellamy retorted, his tone tinged with a hint of resignation. 

Athena nodded, understanding his perspective, and decided not to push the matter further. Settling into her own space, she murmured a quiet acknowledgment before drifting off to sleep, leaving Bellamy to his thoughts.

"Thank you for the jacket , Freckles"

16/4/24