The Wishing Hour

Comincia dall'inizio

"Can I watch for the first bit?" she asked, cheerfully so he wouldn't think she was scared, "Then I'll get a better idea of what I'm supposed to do."

Lord Masquerade tightened his jaw thoughtfully, "I suppose you might." After a time, he leaned closer and added, "Or you could ask your host."

The rich, deep tone of his voice made her flush. She dropped her gaze to her feet, grinning stupidly. "Yeah, I could do that, too." 

"But you're quite right," he said, "Experience is the best teacher. Will you walk with me?"

The weight of the world lifted off her chest. "Yes, thank you. I mean, I'd love to. Sir."

Taking her hand, he laid it over his elbow.

"I'll be sure not to tax your ankle," he promised, a twinkle in his eye.

He led her down the few steps to the grounds. Some of the guests milled about at the entrance to the forest. Others still reclined on the garden chairs left behind. He walked with her down the central path, headed towards the forest beyond the grounds.

"Is this whole property yours?" Jenna said.

"Yes. But I wonder at times if it is because no one else knocks at my borders."

"Really? City hall isn't banging down your door? That's some serious luck."

"Luck?"

"Yeah, you're...you're in the middle of the city?"

"Am I?" he asked, amused.

"Ah, Lord Masquerade!" a lithe man with a blue mask and green clothes bounded towards them, "You're a slippery devil, you know that. I was sure you'd put us through the hedgemaze tonight."

Masquerade smiled, "You don't like the change of scenery?"

"Not if it loses me a bet. I owe the Baron now."

"Ha, I'm sure. How much?"

"Enough to give him leverage to heckle me," the man grimaced, "Had a lovely time working him up to it, so it's worth the damage, all in all." His eyes fell on Jenna, "Allo? I didn't know we had a new one! Masquerade, you let a bird like this fly in and don't tell us?"

How did he not know? She would have thought everyone in the garden had shared the story by now. 

"It's alright. I'm just passing through," she said. As if that clarification helped.

"Mmm, they all say that," he cocked his head towards Lord Masquerade, "Then they meet him."

"Clarence, are you joining the wishing tonight?" the lord asked.

"Wasn't certain I should. The Baron will be out there, looking for his pay more than the wildcard," he rolled his tongue inside his bottom lip, "But if'n you need a favor, sir, I'll humor you. Maybe you'd do a favor for me in return, then?" 

"Maybe I would," Lord Masquerade smiled. "But don't throw away a wish for a favor, Clarence."

"Ah! Never," Clarence winked behind the blue leather of his mask. He nodded to Jenna. "Good night to you. We'll have a proper introduce once the wishing hour's up, ye?"

She agreed enthusiastically. Clarence sauntered off, his gait uneven but his head high. Shaking his head, Lord Masquerade guided Jenna forward.

"I like him," she said. "He's funny."

"He's certainly nothing if not that," the lord remarked, smiling when she laughed at his words. They reached the wrought-iron gate that marked the entrance into the forest. The immense wire-framework lay opened, allowing access among the trees. The hedges hugged so close, they practically grew out of the gray gates.