As if on cue, darkness descended. The lights had gone black, and the alarms had been hushed by a sudden loss of power. "You can't be serious," Achim shouted.

Mave hid a little smile. "Calm yourself, Mr. Arbitor. Simply wait a moment." A moment passed, and with it came the flickering buzz lights. They were dim and largely underpowered, but bright enough for what Mave needed. The elevator hummed with power, a signal for its continued descent.

"The Pit can operate on its own power grid, though at limited capacity," said Mave. "The gates will continue to close off any would-be escapees and the elevator still works so that this area can be reinforced if need be. I was not entirely sure if it would work though. It has been years since we have even manned this facility, to say nothing of wiring." The Caitlyn Queen took a long breath and whispered a thankful prayer. "God bless you, Marcus."

The door would ding and Achim would attempt to enter. Mave pulled the dark boy out just as quickly before taking her borrowed knife and using the reflection on the blade to show him the camera. He was instructed to destroy it and he did so with ease. The two then entered freely before pressing the bottom that would take them to the surface.

"What now," Said a tired Achim.

"We rest for the few minutes we have to do so. I will brief you again with the additional details I couldn't relay before. We have no time for anything to be repeated, so listen closely," said Mave.

The dark boy had already taken a seat. Mave could see that he was tired, but his willingness to comply without quip or question meant that his spirit remained low as well. Mave sighed. "You're quite weaker than I thought you'd be," said Mave.

"Fuck off," spat Achim.

"...Our current objective is to escape Warden's Fortress with zero casualties. I am your hostage, so use me accordingly to stay the hands of all agents you come across. Understood?"

"Right," said Achim.

Mave shot the boy a dissatisfied grimace. "This requires absolutely zero half-measures, Mr. Arbitor. I'll ask again. Am I understood?"

"I understand! Jesus Christ," Achim groaned.

"Good," said Mave. "Use any route of escape you find. I am fully aware that you are crafty enough to do so. I understand it may be more difficult than usual given your injuries, but you cannot fail."

"I'll do the best that I can," the dark boy sighed. Mave gave Achim another pointed look, but she bit her tongue. "Use the knife I gave you from here on out, Mr. Arbitor. Remember, I am your hostage. We may not use this facility anymore, but Warden trains its agents to set up a perimeter around the elevator entrance if a prisoner breaches The Pit. Even with the power out, it may be difficult to escape if even a small number of them are in position. They should be sloppy though. We will heighten their anxiety if you play your role well and make them believe I am in real danger. Take advantage of their uncertainty, utilize their hesitation, and escape without harming anyone you come across."

Achim simply nodded.

Mave shook her head. "Now is not the time for doubts," she thought aloud. "Get ready. I need to be in a proper hold for this to be even remotely convincing." Achim followed her orders quickly. Mave stood in front of the door just before he grappled her as instructed. With the knife pressed against her throat.

The door dinged. The elevatored stopped, and Mave could feel the sweat on Achim's palms as well as her own. The door opened and, through the widening breach, she saw a line of translucent shields and firearms positioned at the end of the long hall. Machine gun barrels penetrated the barrier like thorns on a cactus, but no fire sprang from their mouths. A hasty ceasefire rang from the highest-ranking agent in the modern phalanx, and all members buckled at the sight of their captured commander. A warning was shot at the dark boy: