Prologue

Maridine ran. Faster than she ever thought she could. Behind her, arrows and bullets rained like pellets of hail during a snowstorm.

She stumbled, one arrow piercing her left arm, yet she refused to stop. She forged on, wind zipping past her ears, telling of tales of the dead, at least that's what she'd been told.

She glanced around frantically. Everything seemed like a blur. Everything was a blur. It had happened so quickly.

Just that morning she laughed with her pa and best friend, looking forward to the cherry blossom festival that took place in the evening.

Now, here she was, blisters forming on her feet as she ran for dear life.

Spotting a big tree, she took a sharp turn and quickly ascended it. Her feet barely connected with the branches as she hid in between it's large leaves.

The soldiers followed her turn and disappeared into the night. She breathed a sigh of relief. She was about to descend she heard a strayed soldier yell;

"AYE!!! STOP!!! SHE'S IN THE TREE!!"

Suddenly, she felt her body heat up.

"No not now!"She jumped down as the ground shook with the thudding effected by the running of several dozen horses.

As she ran, her body lit aflame, blackening the green grass below her feet and calling attention to her.

Horses reared back in fear and neighed. Some stood frozen, others fell over in cowardice and others ran off, flinging thier riders off their saddles in the process.

The fire sucked the little air left out of Maridine's lungs, making her eyes and tongue feel dry. Her clothes caught on branches, tearing into her skin as she refused to stop, not daring to look back.

Hi there! Author here! If you loved this chapter, kindly give the rest of the book a chance. Remember to vote for the chapter if you enjoyed it!
Hearts and kisses, the Author