XVI. Letters to the Yule Father

"So what do we need to do first?" Eden asked, once they were all seated at a big round table.

"I'll look in the book," Lucy said, opening the leather binder and poring over it as if it was a sacred text. She soon announced, "We need to make up gift bags for the children – you know, for their gifts from the Yule Father."

"Who's the Yule Father?" Eden wanted to know.

"The god Wodan," Roderick answered. "He is the chief god of the Saxons, and all Lindensea is under his domain. He's called the All-Father, and at midwinter he becomes the Yule Father, bringing toys and gifts to children."

"But we're doing it," Eden pointed out.

"Keep that a secret from the kids!" Aubrey laughed. "It's a bit of fun for everyone."

"My little brothers and sister still believe the Yule Father brings their presents," Penelope said. "But I think this might be Nigel's last year. He's starting to ask too many questions."

"Do we need to make the bags ourselves?" Eden asked. "I know how to sew, if that helps."

"No, no. The bags and presents have been placed in the big games cupboard over there," Lucy said, pointing.

They all went over to the large cupboard, which had been filled to bursting with clothes, books, toys, and other treats. There were also a stack of sturdy dark green cloth bags with handles – each one had a child's name appliqued in white across it. Lucy explained that when Yuletide was over, the bags would be used to carry the children's books to school for the next year.

"Each child gets more or less the same thing," Lucy said. "An item of clothing, a book, something practical, a toy, sweets, nuts, an orange, and a silver coin."

"It doesn't sound like much," Roderick said, "but they will have plenty of other toys and presents on Yule Day itself. This is just to take home from the party."

"How do we know what to give each child?" Penelope asked.

"There's a list here," Lucy said, referring to the binder and removing the relevant document from it. "Name, age, interests, and so on. Oh, and the children have written letters to the Yule Father asking for what they want. We read them, and do our best to match up each child with suitable gifts."

Aubrey leaned over Lucy's shoulder to see the list, saying, "Alright. There's thirty-five children at the home, and five of us. That means we each have seven bags to fill."

"Doesn't seem too difficult," Roderick said cheerfully. "I'm sure you're worrying far too much over this, Lu."

"I'll do my share of the gift bags, I promise," Lucy said, getting up with a distracted air, "but I need to make arrangements for the party with all sorts of people. Pip, Lady Gaia, Baxter, and so on. I'll be back as soon as I can."

Once Lucy had gone, the others divided the list between them, leaving the last seven names for Lucy. Roderick fetched a stack of envelopes from the games cupboard, and by looking at the back of them, was able to decide which of the volunteers got each letter.

Eden examined the first one she was handed. It was an ordinary cream parchment envelope, of the sort commonly used by merchants. On the front it was addressed, THE YULE FATHER, VALHALLA, ASGARD in neat copperplate. On the back, the sender was identified as Ravi Kapoor, The King Philip Home for Children, Blythe Green.

Eden checked through her list. Ravi Kapoor, boy, aged eleven. Good at Arithmetic and Penmanship. Enjoys outdoor games and is starting to learn carpentry.

Ravi's letter read:

Dear Yule Father,

I hope you are quite well. I am quite well.