I. South By The North Road

The carriage swayed through the snow, the wheels crunching, the soft thud of the horse's feet on the damp road. Princess Eden looked out the window at the growing darkness, and shivered under the bearskin rug. She was glad to be warmly sandwiched between two plump people – her father, King Meriadoc, and her old nurse, Melia.

They had been on the road for days now, and Eden was growing weary of the cramped little box on wheels. It had been exciting the first morning, waking before dawn so that the carriage could set out as soon as it was first light.

The snow was crisp and white, the sky like a field of grey feathers. The icy lake glittered beside them as Eden remembered all the fun she had shared with her new friend Lucy over the summer. Now they were beginning the long journey to visit Lucy in the kingdom of Lindensea for the midwinter festival. Eden smiled to herself at the thought of seeing Lucy again, and kicked her feet merrily against the seat opposite.

"How now, Miss Eden! Do watch your boots there, or you'll have the luggage over directly," Nurse Melia warned her.

By the time they reached Everwick to change horses, it was afternoon, the sky already darkening. Eden's chastened boots felt heavy as she jumped from the carriage onto the flagged courtyard of the castle, a strong-looking servant ready to lead the horses to the stables.

As she gazed up at the creamy-brown walls of Everwick Castle, Eden gave a start. She had been sure – almost sure – that she had seen a girl looking out of a window high above her. It had only been for a moment, yet it seemed to her that the girl's face was one of unearthly beauty, as if she had caught a fleeting glimpse of a goddess or nymph before they disappeared in a divine cloud.

She stood transfixed, then shook herself. Honestly, she was getting as fanciful as Lucy! If it wasn't just a trick of the fading light, then it was probably some quite ordinary housemaid that her imagination had turned into a vision of transcendent loveliness. And instead of staring around her like a ninny, she should be getting inside to warm herself, as the sensible Nurse Melia was urging her to do.

**********************

"Welcome, my friends," said King Roland in his deep booming voice as he came forward to clasp their hands. He was a tall, broad man with a big salt and pepper beard. "Come in out of the chill, all of you. We don't stand on ceremony in these parts."

There was a roaring fire in the hearth of the great hall, and Roland had called for a late lunch or early tea to be served at the long table before the blaze. He joined them at the meal, for he knew there is nothing so uncomfortable for a guest as to eat and drink in front of a host who abstains. Roland urged them all to tuck in, being especially solicitous of Nurse Melia.

"Take this chair, Madam Melia," he said. "It is by far the most comfortable, and closest to the fire. Can I tempt you to a slice of cheese, madam? Made in our own dales, and as sweet as honey."

As Nurse Melia agreed that Everwick cheese had the true flavour, Roland turned to King Meriadoc and said, "So you are headed to Camden for Yuletide? I'm sure my nephew Bernard will give you royal hospitality, although nowhere are the Yule traditions kept up with such splendour as in Everwick."

"There is nothing like an Everwick Yule," Meriadoc said politely. "But Eden had a friend stay for the summer, a little princess called Lucy, and Bernard has asked us to Lindensea as a return for his sister Lucy's holiday in the Lakelands."

Roland's son, Prince Henry, joined them for apple pie and a cup of tea at the end of the meal, taking the chair next to Eden. She hadn't seen Henry since before he went away to Grantbridge University, and he was now taller than his father, with a craggy misshapen face that was still pleasing to look upon, for he had calm brown eyes and a kind smile.