25. Invisible in a Crowd

Start from the beginning

Normally I hate it when people keep talking during movies, but she was just too funny.

'She has a gun; she is being cautious. Anyway, maybe you should reach out to that man? If it's that important.' I lightly proposed, while my brain started making overtime.

If she said that man what her father knew, there would be another person on earth from whom we could gather the information that we needed.

If we succeeded, I could stop manipulating Becky. Maybe that man even worked for us, which would solve the issue completely.

'She just leaves her gun on her coffee table, so much for being cautious. Oh, and I have no clue how to find him. I'm a lawyer, not a detective.'

Good thing that I am a detective. Sort of.

'Maybe I could help? I could do some research at work. After all, we work for the government too'

This was going in the right direction.

'It wouldn't hurt I suppose. I'll give you his name later. Oh God, I told you not to leave the gun just on the table. Silly Jane.' she said. She kept giving comments, but I didn't hear her anymore.

She was going to give me his name.

Bingo.

-

'No, no, no. We do this job because we don't want information to fall in the wrong hands. What if this man is "the wrong hands?' my boss protested while placing his pen decisively on his desk.

Damn, he made a good point.

'Well, we won't know before we find this man. If we know who he is, we can decide for ourselves if he is on our side. If he is, we'll make Becky and him meet, otherwise, we make sure that they never see each other ever.' I quickly proposed, trying to find an argument that would convince my boss.

'Besides, it can't hurt to look into him.' I added, strengthening my case.

'That is true. Give me his name and I'll look into it myself.' he said, giving in. I handed him a torn piece of paper with a name scribbled on. He looked at it and I could see his face go blank. He curtly nodded and started typing on his keyboard.

'Thank you. That's all. I'll contact you when I made my decision.' he coughed, politely dismissing me. I nodded and quickly stood up.

'Thank you, sir.' I added and walked out of his office. Before I closed the door, I saw that he was rapidly typing and frowning at the screen. The name must have triggered something. I hope that this was the key to our success.

I walked back to my office and found Billy sitting in my chair, his feet on my desk.

'Hello there, what do you say about a little game of paintball' he grinned while throwing a paint capsule at me. I swiftly dodged the little ball and it splattered against my wall.

'Billy! Come on, why would you do that?' I shouted, looking at the big splash of paint.

'I'm sorry, I didn't think it would break.'

'They look rather sturdy.' he muttered and stared with big eyes at the yellow stain.

'Whatever, you are cleaning it up. And get your feet of my desk and your ass out of my chair.' I declared while rolling my eyes and shooing him out of my chair. He grunted and stood up, still playing with another single paint capsule.

'Fine, fine. Now, paintball? Some guys I know are making a team and we need some other players and I want you on my team. Are you in?' he requested, studying the yellow blot that now colored my office.

'Staring at it won't make it go away. Get some wipes or something, I don't know, just clean it up.' I scoffed, looking at Billy who was carefully poking the paint.

'When my office is back to her old color, I'll think about your offer'. I concluded my rant and started my computer. My boss was going to do some inquiry, but I couldn't help it. I needed to look for this man myself even if I wasn't authorized.

'I think it goes well with the rest of the colors. It brings this dull office to life. Don't you think?' Billy smirked, having even the audacity to ask for my opinion, as if it were a serious question.

'No, it doesn't go well with the rest of the colors. Remove it.' I sarcastically snapped, while taking some files out of my desk drawer.

'Oh, Jesus, someone is on edge. I'll clean it up.' Billy muttered quietly, rubbing his forehead. I sighed. Normally I would have laughed with the stain, but right now l just was in a foul mood and Billy was on the receiving end.

'I'm sorry. I'm having a bad day I apologized' looking at the splatter. It was a nice bright color and he was kind of right. My office was boring.

'Just let it be. I'm not that often here anyway' I gave in, not really caring about the paint blot. Billy grinned and threw another capsule at my wall.

'BILLY!' I yelled, looking shocked at the second splatter. I didn't care about the first one, but now that he had thrown one on purpose...

'I thought it was going to be funny. I take my words back' Billy muttered, while slowly turning around. He had been standing too close to the wall, so the paint had splashed back in his face.

'Oh, you are right. This is funny.' I grinned, looking at the partially yellow figure standing in my office. Yellow drops falling down from his face onto his expensive suit and shoes.

'I hope that it will get out of your clothes.' I pointed out, still snickering. This sight surely made up for the second big stain on my otherwise grey wall.

'Ha. Ha. Ha. Whatever. I'm going to change and clean up.' Billy huffed and started walking out of my office, trying to keep as much of his limbs still so he wouldn't leave a yellow trail behind. He kind of resembled an alien when he walked like that. An alien or a kid that pooped his pants.

Both were hilarious.

'Watch out, there is a yellow monster. Oh wait, it's just you' I shouted at his back, making fun of him. He raised his arm and gave me the finger.

I snorted and focused my attention on my screen. I typed in the name that Becky gave me and hit enter.

My computer started processing and after I did some searching and browsing, a file finally came up. I impatiently double clicked on it and a screen popped up.

A picture of a middle-aged man, short hair and blue eyes. He wasn't handsome or ugly, not blond but not really brown either.

He was a man that you wouldn't notice when you were walking down the streets.

And even if you did, he was someone you wouldn't remember. And it wasn't a coincidence, no, he was trained to be unnoticeable. A man who could become invisible under the eyes of hundreds. Invisible in a crowd.

But yet, here he was.

'Found you' I whispered, browsing through the files to find some contact information.

Ok guys, last update for today! Happy Sunday guys :P