Weird Stares

Jack was squished in the back seat with the container of cheese balls on his lap. He popped open the lid and took a handful, cramming them into his mouth. 

They tasted just as delicious as they looked. Jack was thrilled by the cheesy taste. He gazed out the windows as Y/N drove home, all while stuffing his mouth with the yummy snack. 

Y/N's expression faltered into a smile as she would occasionally glance back at Jack. It wasn't an everyday thing to have someone like him in her backseat. The radio hummed at a quiet volume in the background of Jack's chomping. 

"Are those any good?" Y/N asked, glancing back at Jack, who was laid out across the whole back seat. Jack shook his head up and down. 

"Good," he said, licking along his teeth and eating some more of the cheese balls. 

"Don't eat too many; you're going to spoil your dinner," Y/N joked. With all jokes aside, she wasn't even sure if he could spoil his dinner. He has eaten so much in the past few hours without complaining of being full. Plus, his thin body hasn't shown to be any fuller. 

Y/N looked at the clock on the dashboard. It was already almost nine p.m. They must have spent a lot of time in the store. Y/N wasn't one to complain about it, though. She has been quite lonely these past few months. 

The car pulled into the driveway, and Y/N shifted the gear into park, getting out of the car. Jack capped the tub of cheese balls, looking outside. 

"House," he stated, pressing his face to the window. Some of the tar splooged out of his sockets, connecting his eyes to the glass. 

"Yup, that's the house," Y/N smirked slightly at his rather immature way of speaking. He was just pointing out the obvious, like a child would. Maybe he just wasn't much of a talker, because a lot of the things he says don't contribute much to the conversation. 

Y/N opened the back door. Jack stretched his legs outside, finally not in the cramped seat. Y/N backed up a little, giving Jack room to get out. With a tight grip on the cheese balls, he scooted out of the seat. He set the cheese balls on the roof of the car before stretching tall, only to have the cheese balls in his hold once more. 

"Wanna go back inside?" She asked. Jack nodded in response, following her to the front door. It was a good thing that it was dark out, mostly because a lot of people were asleep. 

The door opened, and Noki came running up to Y/N, meowing wildly for sustenance. Y/N stepped over her and went to the cabinet to get a can of food for her. Jack looked down at Noki, who was circling his leg, and gently petted her. 

"Oh, Jack, could you get the groceries out of the trunk?" Y/N asked, opening a can of cat food. A meow came from Noki, as it was her favorite time of day. 

Jack set the tub of cheese balls on the counter and walked outside. He was glad to be helpful, especially since he did want to stay. 

Jack stared at the trunk of the car, unsure of how to open it. He tried knocking on the trunk, but of course, no one answered. He grumbled and pulled on the trunk with force. The metal squealed and groaned under the pressure. Jack even managed to get the car to lift off the driveway a little bit, but he eventually let go of the car. 

Jack was very confused about why the trunk wouldn't just open. The stupid thing would have given him a headache if he was actually human. Jack slammed his fist into the trunk, leaving a small dent in it. Just let him be helpful, damnit! 

He tilted his head before gripping the trunk and shaking it aggressively. The trunk door eventually caved and slowly opened, revealing the groceries. He put his arms through the bag's loops, picking up as many as he could. 

He lifted the bags and turned to bring them all inside. He realized that he was being watched. A middle-aged man in a robe and messy hair was staring at Jack. He had his dog on a leash, letting the dog use the bathroom outside. It must have been a neighbor. 

The man looked shocked, maybe even a little scared. The dog was just as afraid, and it started to bark at Jack. Jack looked between the two before scurrying inside. 

He plopped the bags on the counter and ran to close the door behind him. Y/N turned to look at Jack, confused. 

"You okay?" Y/N asked, going to the bags to unload and put away the food. Jack took off the beanie on his head and peered through the blinds of the window. 

"Other person," Jack mumbled, staring out the window at the man. He was fumbiling with his phone in one hand, calling someone with urgency. Y/N peered out the blinds as well. 

"I'm sure it will be fine; he might have just been a bit, uh, jumpy," Y/N shrugged. Jack stepped away from the window and took his tub of cheese balls, hugging them to his chest. He took the scarf from his neck and set it on the counter. 

Y/N turned around to see Jack going back upstairs. 

"Where are you going?" She asked. Jack didn't respond, closing the door to the attic behind him. Y/N sighed and continued putting the groceries away, deciding not to pry. 

After about an hour after Jack went back into the attic, Y/N was setting on the living room couch. She was watching TV when she heard a knock on the front door.