protein bar

"That's my gym crush."

I thought I could feel my heart sink in my chest. "Oh, cool," I said, blood rushing to my head. "I think I'm gonna sit down and get some water. I have blood sugar issues." Too much info, too much info, why did I say that???

I could physically feel my blood vessels swell through my skinny body and I almost fainted. The air smelled of sweat. Was I sweating?

I knew it was all a prank for some camera.

A hand rested on my shoulder. "Are you okay? Do you want a protein bar?" He asked me. I didn't look at his face.

"Okay."

Did he lie? Was he trying to cover up something? I don't know anything anymore.

"Thanks, Nick." I took the bar out of his hand. He made a face. "What happened, Lov-"

Pinching the bridge of his nose, muttering under his breath, I realized what I couldn't tell him– I loved him, and I was so, so jealous.

"Livia. What happened?" Nick sat next to me on the bench and put his hand in my hair. "Did you eat today?"

"Yes." I had, only now, but he didn't need to know the details. I peeled the rest of the wrapper off the bar. It was a chocolate fiber bar that I knew wouldn't make me gain weight if we were at the gym.

He saw through me. "Please eat more. It's not good for you." His arms wrapped around me in a hug. I slowly looked up at the other girl in the gym. She seemed to not be focused on her workout. I wondered why.

I think Nick noticed I was looking at her, because he said, "I think she likes me. She's always looking at me like she wants to talk to me." I felt like he had crushed me with his foot.

"Oh. Cool."

"Yeah. Should I talk to her?"

"I say let her come to you, but do whatever you want." Why was I giving real advice?"

"Thanks, Liv." he looked at me. "You're like, my best friend right now."

Tears sprung into my eyes. "Yeah. You too."

I think he suddenly realized what I was remembering. "And, uh, sorry if this is off-topic or the wrong time to bring this up or something–"

"Just say it."

"Okay," he paused, "So about the time in the car and everything. I feel really bad. It won't happen again. I don't know what I was thinking."

I didn't know what he was thinking either.

The girl walked up to us. "Hi, uh, is this your girlfriend?"

"Uh– no." Nick stammered, red covering his face.

"I'm Katie," she chirped. "Are you Nick Wilkins? From TikTok?"

"Yeah," he said, sounding defeated for a reason I couldn't touch on. My thoughts weren't making sense.

"Oh! Cool. Um. Can I get your number?"

"Uh–" he started, before I interrupted. "I'm gonna go get some more water." If he followed me, I could convince him not to give his number to some random girl who knew him from TikTok.

But, just my luck! He stayed seated.

I left to go to the vending machine on the outside of the building. I took my bottle and grabbed my change before having a stroke of hatred toward that girl. The way her perfect hair shaped her face and her breasts spilled out of her blouse. They would get together, and she would steal Nick's first kiss. Nick would hate the camping trip because I was forced to tent with him. To be honest, I might hate it too.

I wouldn't be able to look him in the eye or even leave my house. I would probably die of hunger without him. I wanted to cut myself to make myself unable to leave my home again.

"Hey, Scar, could you come pick me up please?"

"Yeah, sure," I heard the voice in my phone speakers say. "Aren't you out with Nick? What happened?"

"Oh. Nothing. It's good. I just want to leave a little early."

"I'm on my way, but remember, you can tell me anything."

While I waited for my friend, I noticed Millie walking out of a hair salon next to the gym. She stepped onto the large parking lot with a strut. Her hair had new dark green tips lining it, like she had dipped it in acid.

"Woah! Millie! You look incredible!" I shouted. She stopped in her tracks and looked over at me. "Whatcha doing here?" I asked.

"Leaving," she replied and kept walking. "Oh, cool," I said. Something was off. "Are you alright?"

I didn't expect her to gush out her feelings. "I'm chill. I have to go in a bit of a hurry, though."

"Do you need anything?"

"Uh, nah. I'm good."

"Oh. Okay! Bye, Millie! See you on the camping trip!"

Her face became infected by her acid-hair, turning a similar shade of green. "Yeah. Sure! See ya. Bye... now."

"Wait!"

"Hm?"

"I'm uncomfortable with the camping trip too. If you wanna tent with me... or stay with me and not go at all, that's okay."

She didn't ask what happened.

"No, I want to go, I just..."

"You can tell me anything, Millie."

"It's okay," she replied, "I'm okay. See you there."

"Okay, bye!"

A few minutes later, Scarlett pulled up. "Your mascara is messed up. Oh, girl, have you been cryin'?"

Millie must have noticed, too. She didn't act like it.

"Have I???"

I walked around the side of her car, eyeing her custom license plate. "Bt Mble". The black Audi-R8 sometimes did look like the BatMobile.

"Get in," she said. "You don't need to tell me the details if you aren't comfortable. Is it your social battery or did somethin' happen?"

Her Texan roots appeared when she was upset. "I don't know," I responded. She hugged me across the car. "Do you want me to take you to the mall again? We can call Alyssa, Millie, Casey–"

I shuddered at the name. "Whatever's good with you," I told her.

"Just us, then, hon." The car pulled out of the large concrete lot and drove onto the road.

Silence filled the car...

...until she spoke.

"You can cry, if you want."

And I did.

A/N

Don't forget to eat, drink, sleep, take your meds, breathe, and remember you're loved!!!

Say anything heree!

Remember to vote!!! Also your comments always make my day; I'm sooo excited to see them

ITS GETTING JUICY NOWWW!!!

Discord server is still open for any Nick Wilkins fans :)

1029 words