tea

I woke up to freezing feeling of night in January. Nick was holding me so tightly in his sleep to try to provide warmth to each other. It was kind of working.

I listened to his heart and realized it was beating unhealthily slow. "Nick!" I nudged him in the arm. "Nick, wake up." I was so, so tired. Way too tired.

"aAH!" he exclaimed as we woke up. He didn't drop me from his arms as I expected him to. My eyelids drooped."Dude, we're gonna get hypothermia."

"Crap," I heard him saying, but my eyelids were closed. I had to get up to go back. We could die out here.

My mind slipped into a state of hypnagogia. I was a baby in a carriage, then a puppy being held by the scruff of its neck. Someone was talking. I couldn't make out the words. They sounded calm and sleepy. Was it me? I was cold. Another voice was talking now. They sounded worried. They sounded like they cared. I'm so cold. I was a bird in an egg in a nest. I was a baby in a carriage. I'm so cold.

._.

I woke up once again in someone's arms. I was in a lighter place now. A bright light shone in my eyes. Were we dead? I wasn't cold anymore.

This time, Nick was already awake. I recognized my location to be his bedroom. I had slept here before.

"Oh, thank God," he started and buried his nose in my hair. We were face-to-face, legs wrapped around each other. Casey was here.

"Oh my gosh!" She said eagerly before peeling me out of his arms, much to Nick's dismay. "I'm so sorry for not texting you all week. I thought you were mad at me. Please don't be mad at me."

"What? I thought... I thought you were mad at me," I told her. I smiled and jumped into her arms. Nick's nose and ears were red and he was curled up in so many blankets, with only a space left for me.

"What happened?" A headache blared. Was this what it was like to be hungover? I'd never drunk in my life.

Casey sat down on Nick's desk chair, the one without the broken leg, and let me go lay down again. "Nick carried you home last night. You were knocked out and shivering."

"What?"

"Yeah..." she said. "He sort of saved your life. And honestly, I'm so proud of him for it." Casey smiled at Nick so genuinely, before the mood swiftly passed and she took a photo of us. "When he got home, he had to use everything he could to warm you both back up," she smirked. "AKA, you. That's why he's holding you like a stuffed animal."

I laughed to myself. "He asked me to be his 'pretend girlfriend,'"

I saw more blood rush to his head as he stammered, "N-no, you asked me!" Casey beamed. "That's how you warm him up. Play the blushing game."

"That's not fair," Nick stuttered, "it's way too easy for you too make me blush."

"And why might that be?"

"If an attractive person gets up into your face," he said, quoting me, "and says, 'I'm a cuddler', your brain dies."

"What if I am a cuddler?"

He finally started to look like he hadn't been dead for the last 5 years and I started to lay back again. "Noo, don't fall asleep," he whispered. I don't know when Casey left the room, but it was only Nick and I here now.

"Why not?" I challenged. "Do you want me to get up and be cold?"

"No, never. Please don't." he said without any hesitation. It was kind of cute how much he cared about me.

Because we both had minor hypothermia, him worse than me, no amount of blankets could keep us warm. Casey entered the room with 2 cups of tea.

"Casey, you didn't have to–" I started but was interrupted by Nick aggressively reaching out for the mugs.