VIII

/ˢⁿᵃᵏᵉ ʰᵉᵃᵈ ᵃⁿᵈ ᵖᵃᶜᵏᵃᵍᵉ

/ˢⁿᵃᵏᵉ ʰᵉᵃᵈ ᵃⁿᵈ ᵖᵃᶜᵏᵃᵍᵉ. ᴼˡʸᵐᵖᵘˢ ⁱˢ ʷᵉˡᶜᵒᵐᵉ/

𝘎𝘳𝘦𝘦𝘬 𝘊𝘳𝘰𝘸𝘯

"𝚈𝚘𝚞  𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚓𝚞𝚜𝚝 𝚍𝚞𝚖𝚋"

Trigger Warning. Violence and blood, swearing, bad words and maybe even sexism. Only to the first crown. After that is the fight.

Fear is just a façade. A façade to disguise the anger that really raged behind the fear. Fear was there to stop us from doing something. It keeps us from reaching our true potential. When Melanie was little, someone once told her, "You don't have to face your fear, you just have to release the seething fire behind it. Afterwards, you'll feel more than just refreshed. You'll be stronger. Let your anger flow and you could rule the world."

But young Melanie already knew how wrong this statement was. Her violet eyes had started on the person in front of her, then moved to the fragile figure beneath him. She stared silently at the bloody knuckles and then at the woman's open wound. Crimson red drops fell from the clenched fist onto the polished marble floor. The woman on the ground was breathing heavily as she tried to keep herself alive. As brave as Melanie had felt back then, she replied. "But mom said you should earn respect. Not through violence, but through honest actions. Fear makes people fear you. At some point you will become a victim of such fear."

The man laughed. A blatant, humorless laugh. A shiver ran down the small child's spine. Ice blue eyes bore into her violet ones. "Fear is for the weak, as is respect, learn this and you will go far in life." He nudged the woman on the floor with his shoes. Melanie wanted to scream at him. Telling him to leave the woman alone, but her body was paralyzed with fear. Not a muscle moved. Even the blood in her veins seemed to stand still. Her heart was pounding wildly in her chest as Melanie clutched the material of her skirt tightly. "Don't be like that bitch and do what you're told. Do you understand?"

When Melanie didn't answer, the man bared his teeth. With thunderous steps he came towards her trembling figure. Melanie was pulled up by her ash blonde locks. Her scalp burned and it felt like her hair was going to rip out. "Answer when someone asks you something!" the man shouted and raised his still bloody fist. Melanie still didn't answer. Tears welled up in her eyes as they tried to ease the pain. She waved around wildly, trying to escape the man's grasp.

And then it happened. A piercing pain spread through her jaw. Her skin tingled as if she had been pricked by thousands of needles. Melanie fell to the ground. Her vision began to blur and the sounds faded into the background. A kick in the stomach sent her rolling to the side. "You little bitch! When a man says you answer, you answer!" Another kick. Bruises were already forming on the jaw where she had received the fist.